Monday, August 2, 2010

Contest for the Week: Write a Haiku

“Punch”—whether real or imagined by Julian, Lord Fallbridge in our blog-novel, Punch’s Cousin—has written a little poem for his “master.” Whether he knew it or not (I’d say, not) Punch has written a haiku. Part of living a beautiful life is accepting into our hearts the poetry in everyday things. So, I’d like to invite each of you to write a haiku this week. A haiku is a three line poem. The first line amounts to five syllables. The second is seven syllables, and the last is five again. I’m a fan of haiku. In fact, sometimes I just rattle them out for no reason. I’m curious to see your haiku. Just post your poem as a comment below. At the end of the week, we’ll take a vote to decide which we like best.


I look forward to reading your poems!

12 comments:

Jason said...

Dark where no one else
hears what soft music you hear,
light from loss of light.

Solitary stone
at the bottom of the sea,
time never knew you.

Dashwood said...

In a foreign port
a reluctant pilgrim seeks
a proud sister lost.

Led by a puppet
and a puppet yet himself,
can either be free?

Book Lover said...

Leaving my heart in
pieces I found a new life
in reading old thoughts.

Anonymous said...

Dripping with dew
The morning glory is pink
With joy for the day.

Fran said...

I am so hungry
for something that I can't eat
but need for my soul.

Darcy said...

Lazy summer days,
parasols and big straw hats.
Where are they today?

Sand pails and sea shells
children playing in the sun
sunset on the shore.

On My Soapbox said...

His music, a drug
It consumes my mind and soul
Leaving me breathless.

Shaken to the core
Its raw beauty makes me weep
Still, I long for more.

Cindy said...

After the kids are
Asleep I can finally
Relax for the day.

Mary M. said...

Daubs of ocean green
across the sky blend softly
into melting day.

Dan said...

Where is the magic
That I knew when she watched as
I slept so soundly?

Why did I neglect
To mention that was the
Beating of my heart?

Beth said...

Harsh bulllets of voice
I feel like he is cutting
Me angry words.

Anonymous said...

The sun is too bright
and I feel hot to even
move from my deck chair.