Wednesday, September 8, 2010

Punch's Cousin, Chapter 39

Robert knew immediately that Mr. Punch would soon be out. As they disembarked from The Hyperion, he could sense Julian’s anxiety. With wide eyes, Julian surveyed the clattering throng on the dock. He fidgeted nervously with the ring on his left hand.


Robert paused for a moment and looked at Julian. Lord Fallbridge seemed thinner than when he had boarded the ship, yet, he also seemed taller. Cutting a handsome figure in his dark suit, Julian anxiously ran his right hand through his chestnut hair. The blue diamond on his right hand sparkled violet against the earth-colored strands of his hair. Julian had taken to wearing the blue diamond ring every day in remembrance of his father.

“You’re stopping. Why are you stopping?” Julian said quickly.

Robert smiled. “Just waiting for Naasir to catch up with us.”

“Ah.” Julian nodded. He glanced back at the ship. “Do you think the captain will report Arthur’s disappearance to the authorities?”

“He said there was no need to.” Robert shrugged. “The man had no family, no home. You are the person responsible for him. We’ll send word to Fallbridge Hall once we get settled in. They did all they could to look for him. As the captain said, people disappear from ships regularly. He suspects Arthur got himself intoxicated and fell overboard.”

“I wish I knew what happened that night. You’re correct about one thing. I was responsible for him. And I may have been responsible for what happened to him. You heard what that rough-looking man said—the “professor.” I came to fetch Arthur from his cabin that night.”

“Mr. Punch came for him. Not you.”

A hurried man bumped into Julian, startling him.

“My apologies,” The man mumbled before racing off.

Robert watched Julian carefully, looking for signs of Mr. Punch.

“Look there,” Robert pointed, trying to distract his friend. He coughed for a moment. “See those spires?”

Julian looked toward the land. “I do.”

“That’s St. Louis Cathedral.” Robert said. “Cecil sent me a watercolor that he painted of it once.”

“It’s quite beautiful.” Julian nodded. “Though not quite as grand as Westminster Abbey.”

“Grand in a different way.” Robert smiled. “Everything is different here.”

“I can already see that.” Julian sighed. He furrowed his brow.

“What is it, old friend?” Robert asked.

“Are you sure that your friend won’t mind my staying in his home. I can just as easily go to the hotel as I had planned.”

“We’ve been over this already.” Robert coughed. “I had already planned to stay there before I left for Marionneaux. I was told I could stay for as long as I needed. We’ll have the whole house to ourselves. Isn’t that preferable to staying in a noisy, crowded hotel?”

“Yes.” Julian agreed. “I just don’t want to impose on Doctor...I’ve forgotten his name.”

“Dr. Joseph Secondo Biamenti.” Robert said. “And, I’m sure he won’t mind. He’d probably be happy to show the place off to another person. He’s just had the whole house redone. He’s written that he’s very pleased with the transformation. Apparently, it’s quite ala mode. He spent a fortune at it. But, that’s the sort of man he is. He’s even talked about erecting a wrought iron fence around the place—shaped like cornstalks!”

“Cornstalks?” Julian laughed.

“Cornstalks.” Robert chuckled. “These Americans.” He shrugged. “It’s just on Royal Street. We’ll get a carriage as soon as Naasir joins us with the bags. Joseph will be away for the season. He’s left his staff behind with orders. We’ll be quite comfortable there.”

Someone else bumped into Julian—this time a woman in a violet gown. She wore long purple gloves. Her face was shockingly white—masked in wax and powder. Her dark hair was pulled back in a chignon into which a long, aubergine feather had been tucked. The feather fluttered in the breeze.

She stopped and looked Julian. Her lips were painted a brilliant red which made Julian think of Punch’s cap.

“Pardon me, Sir.” The woman cooed. “I wasn’t watchin’ where I was going. Now, I don’t want you thinkin’ I’m just the sort of woman who rudely walks into people.”

“No matter.” Julian answered sheepishly. He’d never seen a woman with a painted face like that. Something in her eyes unsettled him.

“You see, I’m lookin’ for someone. A lady…” She grinned, her eyes glinted coldly.

“I hope you find her, Miss.”

“Thank you.” She nodded. “Now, if you’ll excuse me.”

“Of course.” Julian said quickly, relieved to see Naasir approaching them.

The woman walked slowly away

“Here’s Naasir,” Julian tilted his head in Naasir’s direction. “I do wish he’d hurry. I want to be gone from here before Nanny Rittenhouse emerges from the ship.”

“Ah, Great Man of the Rocks,” Naasir laughed as he approached. “Is the lady, New Orleans, making you feel ill-at-ease?”

“Yes.” Julian nodded.

“Listen, Naasir, I’d appreciate it if you’d refer to Lord Fallbridge as, ‘Your Lordship’ and dispense with this ‘Man of the Rocks’ business.” Robert interjected.

“As you wish.” Naasir smiled. “Not to worry. I will keep you quite safe, Your Lordship. Now, I shall go fetch a carriage.

As they rode toward Royal Street, Julian took in the sights and smells of the Vieux Carré. The whole of the city seemed to have an aroma unto itself—a potent perfume of spices, spirits and the sea. The land itself was strange and magical—a city surrounded by trees from which hung ghost-like swags of moss which blew in the breeze like tattered shrouds.

All the while, Robert watched Julian. He was surprised that Mr. Punch had not yet made his appearance.

“I believe this is it,” Robert pointed toward a large, welcoming house. Four Corinthian columns supported a wrought iron balcony in front of a grand cream-colored mansion. On the left a turreted stone tower rose proudly. On the right, a handsome gable surrounded the glittering light from a leaded-glass window.

“What a lovely house.” Julian smiled as he stepped from the carriage. “Quite extraordinary.”

“It’s exactly what Joseph said it would be.” Robert said.

Naasir removed their luggage from the carriage as Robert approached the door which was flanked by columns like the ones on the porch. Before they could knock, the door swung open and a stout African woman emerged—her arms open wide.

“Welcome, welcome, Dr. Halifax.” She said with honey in her voice. “And, I see you done brought someone with you. I’m called Meridian! I’m the housekeeper.”

“Good evening,” Robert nodded politely. “This is Julian, Lord Fallbridge. I’ve invited him to stay here as my guest. I do hope we’ll extend Dr. Biamenti’s hospitality to him.”

“Oh, well,” Meridian bowed her head. “A Lord. We are honored to have you here, Your Majesty.”

Julian smiled. “Thank you. I’m not, however, due the courtesy of ‘majesty.’”

“What do I call you, then?” The woman laughed.

“Lord Julian will do nicely.” Julian answered.

“Well, then, Lord Julian and Dr. Halifax, do come in and rest your aching bones. I will make sure the finest rooms are made ready for you.” She pointed to Naasir. “Who’s that?”

“My man, Naasir.” Julian answered.

“He will plum want to stay here, too?” Meridian asked.

“Yes.” Robert answered.

“We’ll put him out back with Cal.” Meridian said firmly. “It’ll be good for ol’ Cal to have someone for to talk to.”

Robert and Julian walked into the house through a grand archway. “Such a beautiful passage.” Julian smiled at the ornate woodwork and cornices.

“Pride of Royal Street, this house is.” Meridian beamed proudly. “Now, you two go in the parlor and set yourselves down for a spell. I’ll be bringin’ some nice things for you to eat.” With that, she hurried off, shouting for “Cal!”

“The people here are quite different than what we’re used to.” Robert said as they walked into the rich, red parlor. “I don’t know how Cecil understands a word they say.”

Julian stretched his arms and shoulders. “It’s a wonder that we did.” He looked to the black marble fireplace. “Perhaps we should stir that fire a bit. It’s rather chilly in here.”

He put his hands into the pockets of his coat and felt something that he hadn’t noticed before—a small, folded piece of paper.

Julian took the paper from his pocket and opened it.

“What is that?” Robert asked, his voice becoming raspy as it did toward the end of the day.

Julian read the message and sighed. “A message.”

“From whom?”

“See for yourself.” Julian handed the note to Robert.

Robert read aloud. “I got her, and I aim to keep her. “ Robert shivered. “Regards, Iolanthe Evangeline.”



Did you miss Chapters 1-38? If so, you can read them here.

4 comments:

Dashwood said...

How interesting that Julian has stayed out and superior to Punch while entering this new and strange environment. How long can that last?

Also, you've portrayed very nicely the transition of people into a land where the same spoken language can seem as foreign as two.

Very nice.

Darcy said...

Who put the note in Lord Julian's pocket? Was it the hurried man or or the painted lady? I have a hunch it has something to do with Iolanthe Evangeline. Maybe she's the painted lady. Where's Lady Barbara? I want to know! This is really getting good!

Joseph Crisalli said...

Hello Dashwood, I don't suspect that Punch will keep silent much longer. It's not like him to sit back and wait for too long. Thank you very much for your kind words. Julian feels out-of-place in his native land, so I wanted it to be clear that this strange new place was even more foreign to him--even to Robert. Hopefully, Naasir will prove to be helpful.

Joseph Crisalli said...

Good afternoon, Darcy! Lady Barbara is so close, but yet, so far--as the saying goes. Your suspicion that the painted lasy is Iolanthe Evangeline may prove to be very true. Thanks for reading!