Friday, October 1, 2010

Punch's Cousin, Chapter 59

Tears welled up in Julian’s eyes as Mr. Punch sniffled.


“What is it, dear Punch?” Robert asked.

“Dunno.” Punch responded with a quavering voice. “Me eyes is makin’ water.”

“Those are tears, Mr. Punch.” Robert smiled.

“Know what they are.” Punch grumbled. “Only I ain’t used to it is all.”

“Cecil will paint it.” Robert gestured to the wooden head which stared out at them from the work table. “It does look like you, doesn’t it?”

“Does.” Punch nodded Julian’s head. “Looks like I used to look before me head got split open.” The tears rolled down Julian’s face.

“Are you crying because you’re happy?”

“Dunno.” Punch repeated. “Happy, yes. Happy I am that Brother Chum cared ‘nough ‘bout me to make me head. Happy to have a new head. Only…”

“Only what, Mr. Punch?” Robert asked.

“Only I got Julian’s head now. See, I already got me a new head.” Mr. Punch said. “And, this one is a real head. Not a head made of wood or wax or paper. And, this one’s good lookin’. Nice and attached to a body what don’t have no hunchback. This one’s got a chin and a nose like people got—like you’ve got. This one can make water come out its eyes.”

“I see.” Robert nodded slowly. “You’ve grown to like being in Julian’s body.”

“Sure I have!” Punch answered. “But, I miss me puppet body, too. Life were easier when someone else was makin’ me move—didn’t have to think.”

“But, you didn’t get to feel either. And, for as much as it hurts sometimes, feeling is a wonderful thing.”

“’S right.” Punch sniffed. “Am I rotten to want to have both?”

“No.” Robert smiled. “It’s only human to want everything—to desire to be what you are and what you were.”

“But, I ain’t human.” Punch began to cry again. “I ain’t nothin’.”

“You’re most certainly something. You’re more human than you realize. But, you must remember that this body,” he touched Julian’s shoulder, “belongs to Julian.”

“I know.” Punch nodded Julian’s head. “Only he ain’t usin’ it correctly.”

“He needs a chance to be able to do so.” Robert said.

“He can’t. He needs me. I’m what protects him.” Mr. Punch said frantically.

“For now.” Robert responded softly. “Tell me, what is Julian doing right now?”

“Restin’” Punch thumped Julian’s chest, “In here. Tired, he is.”

“Can you talk with him?” Robert asked. “In there?”

“I can only he don’t hear me so well. Doesn’t understand. I hear him fine, but he don’t hear me so very well.”

“Can you try to tell him that I miss him?” Robert asked.

“Do ya?” Punch frowned. “Do ya miss him?”

“I do.” Robert nodded. “As you would say, ‘he’s me chum.’”

“Huh.” Punch grunted.

“Mr. Punch, I understand that you’re torn.”

“What’s that?” Punch asked.

“I mean that you’re confused—torn between two desires. Seeing that Cecil has made you a new head for your ‘puppet self’ is exciting to you. Isn’t it?”

“Yep.” Punch nodded.

“However, you rather enjoy being in Julian’s body. You want both things. I understand.” Robert smiled.

“How could ya?” Punch asked.

“Because I, too, want two things.” Robert responded softly.

“What’re they?”

“Well, it’s strange to admit it, but I wish there were a way to keep both of you. You know how fond I am of Julian. And, yes, I do miss him. I know he’s in there with you, but you can’t both be out at the same time. But, when Julian’s present, I also miss you. I’ve grown fond of you as well. You, actually, were the one I met first. I wish there were a way for both of you to be a part of my life.”

“So, you do understand.” Mr. Punch sighed. He ran Julian’s fingers over the wooden head and smiled. “’S nice to see me big, ugly nose again. Must admit. Look at me smile.”

“I’m looking.” Robert answered.

“Listen, Chum, I’ll tell Julian that you’re missin’ him. Right?”

“Right.” Robert grinned. “Do you think he’ll be making an appearance anytime soon?”

“Not likely.” Punch shook Julian’s head. “Like I said, me master’s restin’. For now, ya got me.”

“I understand.” Robert nodded.

“I know you do.”

Robert began to cough—deep, painful coughs.

“There’s the hackin’ again.” Mr. Punch frowned.

“It’s the dust in here.” Robert sputtered. “My lungs have been sensitive since Arthur poisoned us. I feel…” A wave of coughing overtook him.

“Feel what, Chum?” Mr. Punch asked, slapping Robert on the back.

Robert stood up straighter and tried to compose himself. “I feel as if I have a little fluid in them.”

Mr. Punch sighed. “Don’t know what lungs is. But, I don’t ‘spose they ought to get fluid in ‘em.”

“No.” Robert laughed. “I’ll be fine. Not to worry.”

Mr. Punch slapped Robert on the back again—this time playfully. He paused. “Here! You’re awful hot.”

“From coughing. I got myself overheated.” Robert said quickly.

“No.” Punch disagreed. “Ain’t the kinda hot ya get when yer runnin’ or doin’ something. I can feel the hotness comin’ off yer back. Right through yer coat. And, it’s cold in here, and such.”

“It’ll calm down.” Robert sighed.

“A human ain’t meant to be that warm.” Mr. Punch frowned again.

“You know, my brother is a fine sculptor. I had forgotten just how good he is.” Robert said, changing the subject. “I should tell him.”

“Tell him now.” Punch pointed to the door. “Here he comes.”

“So, Mr. Punch, what do you think of my gift to you?” Cecil grinned.

“Think it’s wonderful good.” Mr. Punch whooped. “When i’ comes time to use it, I’ll be ever so proud.”

“I’m glad.”Cecil winked. “One of the few comforts Robert and I had as children was watching the Punch and Judy shows. I’ll never forget that face.”

“Glad that me puppet brothers did ya some good.” Mr. Punch smiled.

“Not as much good as you have, Mr. Punch.” Cecil said sincerely. “Now,” he turned to his brother.

“Before you begin, I already know what you’re going to say. I acted rashly…”

“Stop, Robert.” Cecil held up a hand. “Yes, you did act rashly, but you acted, frankly, as I would have. Regardless of the means, we’ve gotten those men out of our home, and most importantly, away from Adrienne and Fuller. For now. You know they’ll come back.”

“All the more reason to find out what’s happening with Iolanthe Evangeline and why Lady Barbara appears to be here in Marionneaux at the Rittenhouse mansion. We merely have to figure out a way to gain entrance to the Rittenhouse’s.” Robert said.

“That, I’m happy to report, will be easier than we thought.” Cecil said, withdrawing a letter from his pocket.

“Here! What’s that?” Mr. Punch asked.

“A letter from Carling Rittenhouse inviting Mr. and Mrs. Cecil Halifax, Dr. Robert Halifax and Julian, Lord Fallbridge to tea this afternoon so that she might make the acquaintance of His Lordship, the celebrated jeweler. It was handed to me as I was walking back from depositing those henchmen on La Rue de la Marchands.”

“Coo!” Punch whooped. “Goin’ ta tea, we are. Gonna see that woman what’s me master’s sister and get back what she took from me head!”

“One thing at a time, dear Punch.” Robert said weakly. Cecil’s studio seemed to spin around Robert’s head. He clutched the work table to keep from toppling over, but he couldn’t hold himself up.

“I need…” Robert groaned as he hit the dusty floor.



Did you miss Chapters 1-58? If so, you can read them here.

4 comments:

Dashwood said...

What a beautiful exposition of the conflict that Punch feels. Very nicely done. I do hope that poor Robert isn't too ill.

Joseph Crisalli said...

Well, thank you very much, Dashwood! As far as Robert goes, I think perhaps another journey is about to begin for him.

Darcy said...

Poor Mr. Punch, torn between his puppet self and his human self,and Julian still afraid to face what he'll find here, now Robert's health is failing, tea at the Rittenhouse's should be very interesting.

Joseph Crisalli said...

You're right, Darcy. It will be tea with very little sympathy.