Saturday, November 20, 2010

Punch's Cousin, Chapter 102

Gamilla,” Adrienne said hurriedly, “Have you given Chidi the list that I wrote out earlier?”


“Yes, Mrs. Halifax.” Gamilla nodded.

“Have you gotten all of Fuller’s…oh…what about his blue blanket? He needs his blue blanket if he’s going to sleep.”

“I’ve packed everything he will need, Mrs. Halifax,” Gamilla smiled.

“Oh,” Adrienne shook her head.

“And, all of your things are packed, too. I’ll carry your jewel-case myself.” Gamilla nodded.

“Thank you, Gamilla,” Adrienne said. “You are a treasure. I’m so terribly sorry that we’re leaving so unexpectedly. But, Mr. Halifax insists. What about you? Are you prepared?”

“Yes, ma’am. This is so exciting! I’ve never been to New Orleans.”

“You haven’t?” Adrienne asked.

“Well, no. Not counting when I was brought here from the docks there, Mrs. Halifax.” Gamilla said softly.

“No, I suppose you wouldn’t have been.” Adrienne responded quickly.

“Are His Lordship and Dr. Halifax ready? Mr. Halifax will want to depart very shortly. I had to convince him not to leave at daybreak.”

“Naasir has already packed His Lordship’s things and he’s just finishing up with Dr. Halifax, Ma’am.”

“Now, you and Naasir will ride in the carriage with Fuller and Toby while my husband and I will ride in the first carriage with Dr. Halifax and Lord Fallbridge.”

“Of course.” Gamilla smiled.

“I know I’ve forgotten something.” Adrienne shook her head.

“It’ll be fine, Ma’am.” Gamilla nodded. “We ain’t got nothin’ here that we can’t get in New Orleans.”

“I suppose not.” Adrienne sighed. “Where’s Mr. Halifax?”

“Out back in the studio, Ma’am. He’s tellin’ the men how to load them statues in the cart.”

“Ah, good.” Adrienne smiled. “That will keep him occupied for awhile. I’m going to look in on His Lordship and Dr. Halifax. Will you mind Fuller?”

“Yes, Ma’am.” Gamilla nodded.

“Thank you,” Adrienne said as she fluttered up the stairs.

The door to Julian’s room was wide open. She peeked inside and saw Mr. Punch sitting on the bed muttering to himself and staring at the floor.

“Good morning, Mr. Punch.” Adrienne smiled. “Are you prepared for our trip?”

“Huh.” Mr. Punch grunted. “I’d like to say I am, I would, only I got a problem, I do.”

“What’s that?” Adrienne asked.

Mr. Punch pulled back the quilt on the bed to reveal the puppet which he’d tucked in like a sleeping child. “Me wooden chum, here.” Mr. Punch sighed. “Was gonna leave him here to rest while we was away, see. Only, now I’m thinkin’ it might do to bring him with us. Ain’t nobody gonna talk to him while we’re in New Orleans. Don’t want him to be lonely.”

“I see.” Adrienne grinned. “Well, then, I see no reason why we shouldn’t bring him along. We’re already bringing Toby so he won’t be lonely without you.”

“But, how we gonna bring me puppet?” Mr. Punch sighed. “Wouldn’t do to put him in a trunk, and I don’t think Cecil’s gonna be too friendly to the idea of lettin’ him ride in the carriage with us like a people. Cecil ain’t in such a good humor today.”

Adrienne nodded and thought for a moment. “Are you sure we can’t place him—very gently, of course—in your trunk? I don’t think it’s uncommon for a puppet to be in a trunk. I’m fairly sure that’s how Punch and Judy Men and Guignol Men carry their figures.”

Mr. Punch frowned. “But, I don’t ‘spect the puppets like it too much. Wouldn’t want to be in a trunk me-self.”

“That’s because you’re more man than you are puppet. See, Mr. Punch, your wooden friend doesn’t need air or light the way you do now.”

“No.” Mr. Punch continued to frown.

“I have an idea,” Adrienne said. “I have a large hamper in the kitchen that Cecil and I used to take on picnics. It’s made of wicker and opens at the top. Why don’t we put your Mr. Punch puppet in that? The wicker will allow him some light through the weaving and he’ll have plenty of air. That way, he can ride with Naasir, Gamilla, Fuller and Toby in their carriage. I’m sure Naasir will give him a kind word or two as we travel.”

Mr. Punch grinned. “Here, that’s why you’re me angel, it is. Cuz you’re such a smart lady!”

“I have my moments,” Adrienne laughed.

“Say!” Mr. Punch whooped. “Then, I’m ready to go, I am!” He gently took his puppet from the bed and lifted it up in the air—spinning around for a second.

“Careful of your hands,” Adrienne said gently.

“Me master’s hands are getting’ better every day. By the ball, they’ll be all healed up. I’ll say this for people bodies, they do fix themselves.”

“Very often, Mr. Punch.” Adrienne nodded.

“Not like when you’re made of wood.” Mr. Punch chattered. “Then you gotta get a whole new set o’ hands or a new head. Ain’t no fixin’ that. Wood don’t heal itself, it don’t. Not once it’s off the tree, and even, then…” He paused. “Here, wood comes from trees, don’t it?”

“Yes.” Adrienne answered.

“Ought to say some kind things to trees, then.” Mr. Punch continued. “Never know who they might be. Here! Houses are made of wood, they are.” Mr. Punch furrowed Julian’s brow. “It’s all sort of confusin’.”

“Many things are.” Adrienne said. “Now, if you’ll give me your wooden ‘chum’, I’ll see to it that Gamilla rests him in that hamper.”

“Very well.” Mr. Punch said, handing the puppet to Adrienne.

“May I come in?” Robert asked from the doorway.

“Yes, of course.” Adrienne smiled. “Mr. Punch and I were just deciding on the best way for his puppet to ride with us.”

“Have you worked it out satisfactorily?” Robert chuckled.

“I do believe we have.” Adrienne grinned. “Now, listen, boys, I want you both in the front hall in ten minutes. Cecil is in a most dreadful hurry and I know that he can only be detained in his studio for so long before he becomes impatient.”

Robert nodded. “I understand completely.”

“Ten minutes,” Adrienne repeated before leaving the room.

“Off we go on another adventure,” Robert smiled at Mr. Punch.

“Seems like it.” Mr. Punch said. “Maybe this time we won’t get sick, poisoned or burnt.”

“That’s generally a healthy goal.” Robert laughed.

“We’re leavin’ some of the bad things behind us here.” Mr. Punch said hopefully.

“Temporarily. They’ll catch up with us. Furthermore, we’ll encounter some new ‘bad things,’ as you say, along the way. Are you prepared?”

“Sure I am!” Mr. Punch whooped. “Ain’t no devil I can’t beat.

“I know that to be quite true.” Robert smiled.

Meanwhile, further up the hill, Ulrika Rittenhouse stood on colonnaded balcony of the Rittenhouse Mansion and gazed at the scene in front of the Halifax’s house. She watched as Chidi and his son loaded the carriages with trunks and cases.

“Where are they going?” She muttered to herself. “It’s too soon to leave for the Masquerade. This won’t do. This won’t do at all.”

Ulrika hurried back into the house and burst into her bedchamber where Arthur and Barbara Allen still sat—slack-jawed and drooling—on the settee.

She clapped her hands in front of them. They both opened their eyes and moaned.

“I need the two of you.” Ulrika growled. “So, get your wits about you.”

Barbara struggled to speak.

“Your brother is leaving,” Ulrika interrupted. “Stop him!”



Did you miss Chapters 1-101? If so, you can read them here. Come back Monday, November 22, for Chapter 103 of Punch’s Cousin.

4 comments:

Dashwood said...

Gamilla is quite correct that they can get anything in New Orleans that they have at home - including a big dose of trouble. But, it's very exciting to be able to follow them there and the anticipation is as great as it has been all along. Really love this novel.

Joseph Crisalli said...

Trouble and some nice beignets. Thanks, Dashwood!

Darcy said...

I love the way Mr. Punch thought through taking his puppet with him to New Orleans. Just charming.

Joseph Crisalli said...

I appreciate that, Darcy! He's learned to reason quite nicely.