Saturday, December 18, 2010

Ornament of the Day: An Exceptional Egg

Since before I was born, my mother has created these beautiful ornaments from real eggs. By piercing an uncooked egg with a needle at both the top and the bottom, loosening the contents, and blowing them out, the eggs are emptied, and, then, dried. What remains is the hollowed shell which becomes stronger when it dries.


She then decorates the eggs with beads, sequins, rhinestones and ribbon to create these gorgeous ornaments. Their delicate beauty is the ideal adornment for the Christmas tree. This is one of my favorites. Magenta rhinestones, opalescent beads, faux pearls and gold ribbon form a pattern reminiscent of Eighteenth Century French designs. In this case, we know what came first…it was the egg.

4 comments:

Book Gurl said...

How pretty!!! I don't think I could do that without breaking the egg!!!

Joseph Crisalli said...

The emptied, dry shells are surprisingly strong.

SherR said...

Wow! I once tried the same with eggs myself. I used old 'foil papers' in stripes and garnished with a ribbon. Then I made a few 'cut away' eggs, with tiny decoupage scenes inside, on themes. One had a minature 'slate' floor with a bag of wool - the 'wool' was fur from a pet cat who needed a haircut in hot weather.

Joseph Crisalli said...

That sounds quite lovely.