Tuesday, December 21, 2010

Punch's Cousin, Chapter 127

Nellie gasped, “You mean to tell me that you want me to return to Iolanthe?”

“Isn’t that what you want?” Robert asked.

“Robert, my dear brother,” Adrienne said softly, “You’re tired. You don’t know what you’re saying.”

“Yes, old man,” Cecil added.

“I know exactly what I’m saying.” Robert smiled. “Nellie, you yourself have said that you’d be foolish not to return to Iolanthe’s. I agree with you.”

“But, you shouldn’t want me to go back.” Nellie frowned.

Robert sighed, “I don’t want anyone else to have to suffer because of Iolanthe’s wrath. Do I think it’s healthy for you to be in Iolanthe Evangeline’s house? No. However, I think it would be equally dangerous for you to be found absent, and, then incur her further anger. We’ll help you free yourself from Iolanthe. But, we can’t do it tonight. Furthermore, if Cecil brings you back there, he can look for Mr….His Lordship.”

“Ah, now, I understand.” Nellie muttered. “You’re using me as bait.”

“You’re the one who argued that you couldn’t stay here.” Robert replied with considerable exasperation.

Nellie began to sob. “You’re too cruel, Sir.”

“It was your own idea…” Robert threw his hands up. “I…well, frankly, I don’t understand. There’s a man who is suffering terribly because of Iolanthe’s cruelty. Him—at least—I know I can do something to help. Good evening!” With that, Robert briskly left the parlor.

“I say,” Cecil began. “I can’t help but share in my brother’s confusion. Nellie, we don’t want you to leave. If you want us to help you, we’re happy to do so. I know what Adrienne endured from Iolanthe Evangeline. None of us wants you to have to continue to suffer. However, you’ve insisted that you must return, and when we suggested that you might be correct, you’ve become upset.”

“Well, it is upsetting, my dear.” Adrienne said, putting her arms around Nellie. “Sometimes the things we know we must do can be very upsetting. Nellie, please understand, we want you to stay.”

“Then, I’ll stay.” Nellie replied firmly, “wiping her eyes. But, know that she’ll come after me.”

“We know.” Cecil nodded gravely.

“Come,” Adrienne said. “I’ll take you upstairs and we can get you comfortable. You can wear one of my lovely night dresses. You’d like that.”

Nellie nodded weakly.

“I’ll be back shortly, dear.” Adrienne said to Cecil who nodded and sank into an armchair.

Meanwhile, Robert walked angrily into the servant’s hall. “All this stuff and nonsense. Foolish drama where there needn’t be any…” He paused. “Merciful heavens, Punch has influenced me. I’m talking to myself.”

He entered the room where Marjani was tending to Naasir and forced himself to smile.

“How are we doing?” Robert asked as cheerfully as he possibly could.

“I’ve done put this salve on him. Poor fella, I know it musta stung him terrible.” She looked at Naasir. “But, it’ll help ya to feel better, Honey.”

Naasir didn’t answer. He opened his eyes and looked desperately at Marjani.

“No sense in worryin’.” She said to him, “Things are what they are. You’re here now and this is the path you’re on. We’re gonna take that path together.”

Naasir moaned.

“Have you convinced him to take the medicine for his pain?” Robert whispered.

“He won’t do it,” Marjani replied softly. “He don’t want it.”

Robert grumbled. “Why does he wish to suffer?”

“It’s his pride,” Marjani whispered. She looked Robert in the eyes. “There ain’t much more we can do for him now. I’ll stay with him. You go on and get yourself some rest. You look terrible tired.”

“I am.” Robert nodded. “But, how can I rest knowing that Mr. Punch is out there with Iolanthe Evangeline?”

“He’s comin’ back to ya, Dr. Halifax.” Marjani smiled softly. “I know it in my heart.”

And, Marjani was correct. Mr. Punch was, indeed, headed back toward Royal Street—muttering angrily as he walked. The other people on the street looked at him curiously, some stepping out of his way as he walked. He must have looked quite mad. Punch paid no attention to the people that he passed nor to their judgmental stares. He continued to walk, and chatter…

“Tryin’ to help folk.” Mr. Punch mumbled. “Tryin’ to help the very folk what made me own life Hell. Thievin’ witch stole from me she did, took me puppet body and tore it to pieces, took me master’s diamond, sold her own baby, she did. But, no, I gotta try to help her. Bleedin’ Duchess callin’ me names, tellin’ me I’m stupid just like she did to me master. Still, tried to carry her out, but she’s more concerned with her luggage, she is. Nobody wants me help. Wicked whore goin’ ‘bout burnin’ people and makin’ chaos. Just want to go home, I do. Want to play with me puppet and me dog and eat sweeties and see the panto. Everybody gettin’ in me way. Mr. Punch’s just tryin’ to be a gentleman and do what’s ‘xpected o’ a gentleman and what’s he get? Nasty folk bein’ selfish, that’s what he gets. Came all the way here to get beaten about and have to hit ugly maids with lamps cuz they’re botherin’ me…”

He stopped when he saw Ulrika Rittenhouse and Arthur come toward him.

“Lord Fallbridge!” Ulrika called out.

“Coo!” Mr. Punch grunted. “Ain’t nowhere to go where I ain’t gonna get bothered.”

Ulrika and Arthur drew closer.

“Go ‘way!” Mr. Punch shouted. Passersby paused and stared.

“We just wish to speak with you about your sister.” Ulrika said.

“My wife, Sir.” Arthur added.

Mr. Punch’s eyes flashed with anger.

“Don’t care ‘bout none of that!” Punch said loudly. “Don’t come near me! I’m goin’ home, I am!”

“Arthur, grab him!” Ulrika shouted.

As Arthur lurched toward Mr. Punch, he began to run. But, the footman was too swift. Punch could not make Julian’s legs go any faster. He felt Arthur’s fingers dig into Julian’s arms.

The sensation reminded Mr. Punch of other times when hands had hurt both him and Julian and the feeling filled Mr. Punch with an uncontrollable rage.

At that very moment, back at Dr. Biamenti’s house, Marjani felt an iciness in her heart. She hurried from Naasir’s room and caught Robert just as he was walking down the corridor.

“Doctor!” Marjani shouted.

“What is it, Marjani? Naasir?”

“No.” Marjani panted. “Mr. Punch. He needs ya!”



Did you miss Chapters 1-126? If so, you can read them here.

4 comments:

Darcy said...

It's good that Marjani had a foreboding of Punch's predicament. I hope Robert is able to help him.

Joseph Crisalli said...

It's always handy to have someone with a sixth sense around. : ) Hopefully, Robert will get there before Arthur does any harm or Mr. Punch really loses his temper.

Dashwood said...

It would be really good to see a righteously angry Punch! Ulrika and Arthur could benefit from a good thrashing - with or without a stick.

The more we see of that alligator in Duchess form, the more one can sympathize with poor Julian who seems to have retreated - and who could blame him??

Joseph Crisalli said...

Hi Dashwood. I like the imagery of the alligator in Duchess form. You're right, no one could blame Julian for his lengthy retreat. Besides, Mr. Punch seems to be handling things quite nicely while Julian takes some time to repair himself. Thanks for reading!