Tuesday, December 28, 2010

Punch's Cousin, Chapter 131

Nellie stood and glared at Mr. Punch. “It’s easy for you, isn’t it?”


“Nothin’s ‘specially easy for me.” Mr. Punch said, widening Julian’s eyes.

“You can just sit there on the floor with your puppet and your dog and judge me.” Nellie continued.

“Ain’t judgin’ you.” Mr. Punch shrugged. “Asked a simple question—one what don’t need to have a long answer. Seems to me it’s a question what should get a ‘yes’ or a ‘no.’”

“How could you possibly think that I’m here to do harm to Adrienne and her family?” Nellie put her hands over her face.

“Easy.” Mr. Punch sighed. “See, anyone what’s got anything to do with Iolanthe Evangeline—in my short time here—seems to be under some sort of spell, only thinkin’ to do whatever it is that the ogress wants. You come from Iolanthe’s house…”

“So does Adrienne!” Nellie snapped.

“Many years ago.” Mr. Punch said. “We know what Adrienne’s about. But, I don’t know you, I don’t. Don’t know nothin’ ‘bout you.”

“You’re a rude beast is what you are!” Nellie shouted.

Adrienne came rushing down the stairs and into the parlor.

“What’s all this?” Adrienne asked.

“Your dear friend,” Nellie sniffed, “has accused me of being in collusion with Iolanthe Evangeline and having come here to somehow infiltrate your family.”

“Didn’t accuse.” Mr. Punch argued. “Just asked a question.”

“I’m sure Mr. Punch didn’t mean any harm.” Adrienne said. “After all, he doesn’t know you, and his main concern has always been for the well-being of our family.”

“Oh, take his side, then.” Adrienne snapped. “I’ll tell you this, his sister was correct when she said he’s a madman. Look at him, sittin’ there on the floor with his toys like a child. What sort of person is this?”

“Nellie, I wish to help you, but I won’t have you say anything against Mr. Punch.” Adrienne said firmly.

“So, you been talkin’ to Barbara Allen, have you?” Mr. Punch asked.

“Of course!” Nellie growled. “I was the one who was instructed to show her around Iolanthe’s house when she arrived. Certainly she’d tell me about herself as we go to know one another! She’s not the only one who says you’re a looney. Iolanthe…”

“Nellie, can you really mean that you’d believe anything Iolanthe has told you?” Adrienne asked.

Nellie narrowed her eyes and took a deep breath. “I think I’d like to go up to my room.”

“We’re just about to have breakfast.” Adrienne responded.

“I’m not hungry.” Nellie replied as she walked from the room.

Adrienne sighed and sat in the chair across from the spot where Punch sat on the floor.

“Terrible sorry,” Mr. Punch said softly. “Only I had to ask. I just wanted to know if she was still workin’ for Iolanthe—maybe sent here to watch us and see what we’re doin’.”

“It’s a natural thought, dear Punch.” Adrienne smiled. “And, one, I’m afraid that should have occurred to me. I was so caught up in my own memories of trying to extricate myself from Iolanthe that I hadn’t considered it. Nellie was always quite loyal to me. She was a good friend. When I saw that she was in need, I naturally wanted to help her. And, yet, she’s always been loyal to Iolanthe, too. I thought that her realization that Iolanthe is dangerous was a good thing. But, perhaps it was false. I don’t like to distrust people for whom I once felt affection, but times as they are, I find that I can’t necessarily go ahead on blind faith. Everything’s become so complicated, I’m afraid. It’s not my nature to be doubtful, nor to cast aside anyone who needs my help, however, I think you were just in asking her what you did, and I thank you for continuing to protect my family.”

“She didn’t answer me question.” Mr. Punch said. “Do ya think she could be false?”

“I don’t know.” Adrienne shook her head. “We’ll need to watch and see, I suppose.”

Meanwhile, upstairs, Nellie barked at Meridian as she passed the woman in the hallway. “Girl!”

Meridian turned around with wide eyes. “Yes, ma’am.”

“Is there a boy in this house who can carry a letter?” Nellie asked.

“There is,” Meridian said. “Only, as housekeeper here, I’ll tell you that I ain’t sendin’ one of my boys with a letter to Iolanthe Evangeline.”

“Impertinent!” Nellie snapped. “What makes you think I’d send a letter there?”

“I only thought…”

“It isn’t your place to think. Now, is it?” Nellie demanded.

“Beggin’ your pardon, Ma’am, but it is my place to think. I work in this house. I work here for Dr. Biamenti, but I ain’t no slave. I’m a free woman, see. Dr. Biamenti done made it clear to me that I’m to have a mind of my own and to make the decisions that he would make while he’s away. The safety of the folk that live and work in this fine house is my responsibility.”

“Just take the letter,” Nellie grumbled, reaching into her pocket book and removing an envelope.

Meridian examined the envelope and saw that the address was Royal Street.

“This is just up the road.” Meridian said.

“Do you see,” Nellie began, “that you’ve misjudged me? Do you see that?”

“I see that this letter is to be delivered to Mr. Edward Cage’s house. But, there ain’t no name on it. Just initials. You wanna put a name on it?”

“There’s only one person staying at that house with those initials. It will be delivered to the right person.”

“Very well,” Meridian nodded. “Mr. Cage done arrived last night along with his wife and family. So I’m told. Unless, of course, the letter is for someone else who’s stayin’ there.”

“That’s really not your concern. Is it?” Nellie scowled.

“I’ll have a boy take it over right away.” Meridian nodded.

“And, there’s no sense in mentioning this to anyone! My correspondence is my own private affair!” Nellie said.

“As you wish,” Meridian nodded, smiling slightly. “Will you be down for breakfast, ma’am?”

“No.” Nellie frowned.

“You want me to bring a tray up for ya?” Meridian asked.

“No!” Nellie said, flouncing into her room.

Meridian chuckled to herself, studying the envelope she’d been given. With a sigh, she hurried down the staircase and stopped in the parlor.

“Mrs. Halifax?” Meridian began.

“Coo!” Mr. Punch interrupted. “Are we ready for breakfast?”

“As soon as Dr. and Mr. Halifax come down, we are, Mr. Punch.” Meridian smiled.

“Ah.” Punch sighed.

“Mrs. Halifax,” Meridian continued, “Your guest, Miss Nellie, she’s got some correspondence that she wants sent out. I was wonderin’ if maybe you had anything to be delivered, too. That way, I could send Leroy to make one trip.”

“No, I don’t have anything.” Adrienne said slowly.

“Well, if you do, just put it on the silver tray on the hall table where I’m gonna leave this letter from Miss Nellie so that Leroy can pick it up. I’ll send him out in about ten minutes. ‘Til then, this’ll be waiting on the hall table.” Meridian said pointedly.

“Thank you, Meridian.” Adrienne smiled.

Meridian exited, depositing the letter in the place she’d specified.

“Sendin’ out letters, is she?” Mr. Punch asked, absent-mindedly petting Toby’s ears with the hand that wasn’t covered in puppet.

“She has that right,” Adrienne nodded. “As our guest.”

“Wonder who she could be writin’,” Mr. Punch frowned.

Adrienne glanced through the doorway to the hall table. “Yes, I wonder.”



Did you miss Chapters 1-130? If so, you can read them here.

2 comments:

Dashwood said...

How clever Meridien is. And how loyal. Very often just a scent of rat is enough.

Joseph Crisalli said...

It's nice to know that, for all of the people who seem to be against them, that they do have people on their side. Thanks for reading!