Friday, February 4, 2011

Goal for the Day: Make the Best of It

As we all know, most of the U.S. is coated in snow and ice. In areas like the one in which I live, we don’t really know how to deal with it. My town was coated in another half a foot of snow last night. Now, I’m quite fortunate in that I don’t have to go anywhere—ever, really. Everything I do, I do from here. But, I find the weather bothersome and inconvenient nonetheless.


Early this morning before Bertie got up, I worried how I’d get him outside to do his dog things. Bertie has a history of visibly blaming me for inclement weather with a look that flatly says, “Why did you allow this to happen?” So, I woke him up and announced that it was time to go outside. Off we went. As I opened the door, I got “the look.” That look that said, “Pardon me, but this in unacceptable.” But, then, if dogs could shrug, Bertie would have. Because within seconds, he was bounding down the stairs for a ten minute rolling romp in the snow.

Afterwards, as I was blow-drying the clumps of snow from his fur, I offered him a Mr. Punch-like “That’s the way to do it,” and realized that he had the right idea. There’s so much in the world that we can’t change, so why not just lean back and make the best of it?


4 comments:

Anonymous said...

A man on a mission.

Joseph Crisalli said...

Very much so, although on subsequent missions, he's found the snow slightly less inviting. Still, he's made the most of it.

Bertie Fan said...

What a brave and handsome boy!

Joseph Crisalli said...

He is. Thanks. He's a big, brave boy.