Saturday, February 19, 2011

Object of the Day: An Antique Pencil Sketch

Several years ago, I happened upon a group of antique sketches. Most of them were by the same artist and had been assembled into a portfolio. However, the collection also included works by another hand and in a completely different style. One of them is this pencil sketch of a Greek bust.


The drawing is signed, however, I can’t really make out the name. The others in the collection date to 1850-1875, so I would guess that this falls somewhere into that time range. I find it interesting that the artist responsible for most of the drawings and watercolors in the collection also amassed examples of another artist’s work. We’ll never know why or the relationship between the two artists, however, I think it’s rather fascinating that more than a century later, these same objects remain together.


No comments: