Monday, April 4, 2011

Punch's Cousin, Chapter 212

Marjani hurried through the dark streets of the Quarter and skittered onto Royal Street. As she approached their borrowed mansion, she paused outside, aware that several pairs of eyes were watching her.


She smoothed her apron and took a deep breath as she walked toward the house.

“Where ya goin’, Girl?” A man’s voice growled from the shadows.

“Home, Mr. Cage. Home to my granddaughter and the folk who take care of us.” Marjani said plainly.

“At this hour?” Edward Cage grinned, stepping out into the moonlight.

“What better time to come home, Mr. Cage?” Marjani nodded.

“Where’ve you been?” Mr. Cage asked.

“Out, Sir.” Marjani answered flatly.

“Aren’t you a little old to be carousing Bourbon Street in the wee small hours?” Edward grumbled.

“I don’t owe you no explanation.” Marjani said.

“I think you do.” Edward shook his head.

“Well, Sir, I was out nursin’ some poor sick soul who got stricken with the Yellow Jack. I done been doin’ that for years, you know—nursin’ sick folk. Remember when your lady wife done got struck with that terrible flu? Remember how you called for me?”

“Who is this sick friend?”

“A colored girl who works in the French Market.” Marjani lied without blinking.

“Why should I believe you?”

“You don’t gotta believe me,” Marjani shrugged. “It don’t matter much to me. But, if you fell like you need some convincin’, Sir, come and put your arms around me. Smell my hair and my clothes. You’ll sure enough smell the sick room on me. Course, you gotta be careful. Those plague seeds are still on me, Sir. In my hair, on my dress, on my hands. If you need convincin’ so bad you want to put your own life and the life of your kin in peril, come on and smell me.”

“Very well, Girl.” Edward grunted. “Go in the house and bring your disease to the people to whom you’re so loyal. I’ll be here in the mornin’. Maybe I can walk with you to where your poor sick friend lies.”

“Maybe you can Sir.” Marjani smiled. “Maybe you can wipe the blood from her teeth and hold her head when she vomits up her life in thick, bubbling, black gobs.”

“Get out of my sight, Girl.” Edward turned away.

“Happily,” Marjani sighed, walking up the steps of the house. “You want for me to send Meridian out with some tea for ya?”

“No.” Edward growled.

Marjani entered the house and was shocked to see Cecil and Adrienne sitting in the parlor. They both looked nervous and upset.

“Where have you been?” Cecil asked—not out of anger, but out of concern.

“I been with your brother, Mr. Halifax, and Mr. Punch. We got the baby all settled in.”

“However will we get them out of here?” Adrienne said, worry creeping into her lovely voice.

“We got a plan, Missus.” Marjani said slowly. “But, we’re gonna need ya.”

Meanwhile, Mr. Punch watched Robert as he slumbered with the child nestled in his arms. He smiled contentedly at the sight. His smile faded for a moment when he thought of Toby and his puppet, and Adrienne, Cecil, Fuller, Columbia and Meridian—even Gamilla. He missed them all, but knew that they’d be reunited somehow.

“I’d make any sacrifice, I would.” Mr. Punch sighed. “Anything for little Colin.”

A knock on the door startled Mr. Punch and he quickly glanced at the baby who didn’t stir. Nor did Robert, for that matter.

“That ain’t Marjani back so soon.” Mr. Punch muttered to himself. He slowly walked to the door and opened it, gasping when he caught sight of the two people on the other side.



Did you miss Chapters 1-211? If so, you can read them here.

6 comments:

Book Gurl said...

The dialogue is always so great!

Joseph Crisalli said...

Thanks, Book Gurl!

Darcy said...

So exciting. You always leave us wanting more. I want to know who is on the other side of the door. I guess I have to wait until tomorrow.

Joseph Crisalli said...

I appreciate that, Darcy. You know, given their track-record, it can't be anyone good who's come tapping on their chamber door.

Dashwood said...

It would not be a surprise to find Jack the Ripper and Lucretia Borgia hanging around in the hall. Book Gurl is spot on about the dialogue.

Joseph Crisalli said...

True. That wouldn't be a bad idea, Dashwood. But, I think the visitors I have in mind will be equally treacherous.