Friday, May 27, 2011

Punch's Cousin, Chapter 255

Cecil tried to restrain Mr. Scaramouche who pushed past him and walked stiffly into the hallway.


“Mr. Pun…” Cecil shouted.

“Scaramouche!” The man in Julian’s body spat. “Don’t call me by the name of that rogue.”

“Where are you going?” Cecil hurried after him.

“I’m looking for what’s mine!” Scaramouche answered angrily.

Cecil reached the man and put a hand on his shoulder. Scaramouche turned quickly and shook Cecil’s hand off.

“Are you trying to interfere?”

“I’m trying to help.” Cecil replied firmly. “I don’t know who or what you may be, but I do know that you’re in the body of someone about whom I care very much, so I must make sure that he—they—are protected.”

“Do you think I’d harm this vessel?” Scaramouche scowled. “I’d never be such a fool! Without this body, I’d have nothing.”

“What is it that you want?” Cecil panted.

“Do you wish to hear my inventory?” Scaramouche smirked. “To begin with, I want my dog. That rascal Punch has stolen my dog. I want my diamond. I demand that that be returned to me. And, most especially, I want the child. Mr. Punch’s precious child! That will show him!”

“How do you intend to get these things?”

“The things that I’m owed!” Scaramouche shouted.

“If you insist.” Cecil shrugged helplessly.

“”How do you think?” Scaramouche yelled. “By force, if I must. I’m owed! I’m due! I’ve grown weary of all of those people who continually take from me, those who have ill-used me! I won’t stand for it any longer!”

Barbara Allen hurried up the stairs and gasped. “What’s all this shouting? I heard you all the way in my room. What’s happened? Julian?”

“I am most assuredly not Julian, you painted trollop!” Scaramouche shouted.

Barbara stepped backward and looked at Cecil who shook his head.

“Miss Allen, this is Mr. Scaramouche, it seems.” Cecil sighed.

“Oh dear.” Barbara sighed. “Another one?”

“It would appear so. He had some sort of seizure, and, then emerged as this…”

“I’m standing right here!” Scaramouche growled. “Don’t speak of me as if I’m not here!”

“Why don’t we try to rest?” Barbara suggested.

“Spare me your false kindness and your feigned concern. We all know who and what you are, Barbara Allen. You may not know me, but I know you!”

“I’d like to know you,” Barbara replied.

“No doubt.” Scaramouche laughed. “But, you’re of no use to me now. You served your purpose by birthing the child. And, the boy shall be mine. I don’t care what that dead servant says. The child will be mine!”

“What’s he talking about?” Barbara whispered.

“I’m not quite certain.” Cecil replied, his eyes wide with confusion.

“Useless!” Scaramouche spat. “You should both be punished for your uselessness!”

Within their shared body, Mr. Punch paced around in the imagined room where he and Julian waited. He muttered as he paced and Julian sighed impatiently.

“Don’t know what to do, I don’t. Didn’t know there was another of us. This one’s a real terror, he is. How am I ‘sposed to stop him?”

“You’re stronger than he is.” Julian said.

“Am I?” Punch grumbled.

“Well, I like to think so.” Julian responded. “Certainly, the two of us together have enough strength to best him and return him to his slumber.”

“Here, how are we gonna do that? You say I gotta knock his head off his shoulders and take charge again. How’m I ‘sposed to do that when he’s out there usin’ our body to storm about and rant?”

“I have an idea.” Julian said. “It may be difficult, but Scaramouche does have one weak spot. Where there’s anger, there’s always guilt.”

“Go on,” Punch smiled.

“Sit beside me, Mr. Punch.” Julian pointed to the chair across from him. “Together, we must make a plan.”



Did you miss Chapters 1-254? If so, you can read them here.

No comments: