Sunday, June 12, 2011

Object of the Day: Museum Edition: A Pressed Glass Plate for Queen Victoria’s Golden Jubilee, 1887

My plate, 1897
Well, would you look at that! Several weeks ago, I shared with you a recent edition to my collection of Royal memorabilia. I’d never seen a plate like this pressed glass beauty created for Queen Victoria’s 1897 Diamond Jubilee.


It seems, there are more of them, and even some produced ten years earlier for the 1887 Golden Jubilee. Look, here’s one in the Victoria & Albert Museum! This one doesn’t have the gold backing that mine does, but perhaps that addition only came with the Diamond Jubilee Version. This particular plate is nearly identical to the one in my collection.

Made by Sowerby Ellison Glassworks in 1887, this plate was one way to meet the tremendous public demand for objects commemorating the Queen’s jubilee. I’m just so tickled to this this item in the V&A!


The Victoria & Albert Museum

The Victoria & Albert Museum

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hello,
My Mum owns one of these plates which has some gold coloring left on the queen and some of the letters. There is also a small chip on the rim. We live in Canada, and are not having much luck finding out the value. Would any of your readers know?