Wednesday, June 29, 2011

Punch's Cousin, Chapter 282

Iolanthe Evangeline breathed heavily and noisily as she entered Marie Laveau’s house, refusing to be seated and sharply stating she wanted no refreshments.


“I wouldn’t mind a whiskey.” Ulrika cooed.

“Certainly, Miss Rittenhouse,” Marie oozed false politeness.

“No!” Iolanthe bellowed.

“What harm can it do?” Ulrika whined.

“I’ll do plenty of harm to ya if you don’t shut your mouth,” Iolanthe spat.

“Really, Iolanthe, you’re going to give yourself apoplexy if you don’t try to quiet your nerves.” Ulrika shook her head.

“Your fire-haired friend is correct, Woman.” Marie Laveau grinned. “Wouldn’t that be an awful shame?”

“Where’d you get that baby?” Iolanthe snapped, ignoring the two other women.

“I have my ways.” Marie winked. “Just like you got, only better.”

“It is Edward Cage’s child, isn’t it?” Iolanthe growled.

“Now, that’s a matter of opinion.” Marie shrugged. “The boy done lived with a lot of folk, I reckon. Seems to me, he’s the child of the home that he lives in. So, I guess that makes him my child now.”

“What do you want with him?” Iolanthe asked angrily. “What’s any of this got to do with you?”

“Well, seems I got myself hurt because of this child. Seems that I been terribly put-out by this whole thing. I reckon lots of folks want that little boy. I know that the Duke wants him. Wants him enough to make his servants do unspeakable things to innocent folks such as myself. I know other folk want the boy, too. Shall we make a list of them, Iolanthe? Let’s see, there’s the Duke, and Mr. Cage, and you, and the babe’s own mama—that Barbara Allen. And, speakin’ of Miss Allen, ain’t it a pity that it didn’t work out with the two of ya? Pretty girl. Would have made a lot of money for ya, no doubt. Seems you got trouble keepin’ your girls, don’t it? Yes. It sure seems that way. Sad. But, you got one that’s loyal. That one with the face of a goat—Mala.”

“I will not allow you to ruffle me, Marie.” Iolanthe shook her head.

“Looks like you done already been ruffled, Woman.” Marie shrugged.

“You, Marie, are just like me. You’re a steely woman of business and you know what’s best for your profits. You know I already promised that boy to someone else and that I been paid handsomely for it. Now, I may be a lot of things, but I ain’t a woman who goes back on her promises—once I make ‘em. And, I don’t want you thinkin’ that I am. That boy is the son of Edward Cage. Mr. Cage has done paid me for him and all. And, I aim to see that Mr. Cage gets what he paid for. So, you’ll just step aside and let me take from you what ain’t yours.’

“I really would like a whiskey,” Ulrika interrupted.

“Quiet!” Iolanthe snarled.

“Fine,” Ulrika snorted.

“Now, Iolanthe,” Marie laughed. “What makes you think I aim to keep the child?”

“Don’t you?” Iolanthe narrowed her eyes.

“Of course not!” Marie grinned. “I got him back for you, didn’t I? We may have had our quarrels and disappointments, Iolanthe, but, as you say, I’m a woman of business. I know what’s important and what ain’t, and my first loyalty is to them folk like me.”

“Then, step aside, and let me take the child.” Iolanthe said firmly.

“Not so fast, Iolanthe.” Marie shook her head. “I’m gonna let you have him, but first you gotta do somethin’ for me.”

At that very moment, Adrienne, Marjani and Robert watched as Julian’s unconscious body began to spasm and thrash about, making guttural gasping sounds as it tried to draw in air.

“He’s choking!” Adrienne screamed.

“On what?” Marjani rushed to Punch’s/Julian’s side.

“Help me turn him on his side.” Robert ordered.

The three of them turned Julian on his side and Robert tried to clear any obstructions from Julian’s throat. Finding no such impediment to the man’s breathing, Robert exclaimed. “He’s not choking. It’s as if he’s being strangled!”

“I don’t understand.” Adrienne wring her hands.

“Like a hangin’.” Marjani nodded slowly.

Robert knelt down beside his friend. “Mr. Punch! Listen to me! Punch is not hanged, you know that! He hangs the hangman!”

Suddenly, Julian’s body became still.

“Is he breathing?” Adrienne asked.

“No.” Robert shouted.



Did you miss Chapters 1-281? If so, you can read them here.

No comments: