Monday, August 15, 2011

Treat of the Week: A Beautiful Gingerbread Union Jack


This week’s treat from my mother’s kitchen is a double celebration—first to celebrate Bertie’s successful surgery, but also to welcome Mr. Punch to the United States. Over the Fourth of July weekend, my mother had baked a lovely cake adorned with berries and whipped cream to look like the American flag. One of Stalking the Belle Époque’s U.K. visitors asked if she could make one with the Union Jack. Well, of course she can. And, she did.

This one, however, is tailored to its U.K. image. Rich, moist gingerbread has been sliced down the middle and filled with lovely lemon curd. My mother has decorated the top with freshly whipped cream and berries to resemble the Union Jack. It seemed a fitting welcome to Mr. Punch after his long journey from the shores of England and a wonderful way to share some cake with the recuperating Bertie Dog.








4 comments:

Mark said...

Brilliant! Old Red Nose seems to have gotten himself a nice cake there. I was the one who asked if you could do a Union Jack and I can see that you most assuredly can. Well done! I wish I could have a nice big piece of it. Love gingerbread! A very beautiful cake indeed. Cheers!

Anonymous said...

Rule Britannia!

Carolyn said...

Now I want teacand cake! This is totally scrumptious.

Gene said...

I like every part of this cake.