Saturday, September 3, 2011

Punch’s Cousin, Chapter 334

Now, Chum,” Mr. Punch began steadily.

“Mr. Punch,” Cecil held up his hand, “Let’s be reasonable. I’ve gone along with most everything that’s been presented to me. I’ve put the lives of my loved ones in danger as well as my own. And, I’ve not complained. But, I cannot condone any further risk at this point. We’re so close to our escape. We’d be fools to threaten that.”

“What choice do we have, Cecil?” Robert asked. “Could we, in good conscience, leave Charles to those wicked people? There’s no telling what they’ll do to him.”

“It isn’t our concern.” Cecil replied firmly.

“Isn’t it?” Punch frowned. “Ain’t we, as his masters, responsible for what happens to him? Ain’t it up to us to see that he’s safe?”

“He’s a smart young man.” Cecil shook his head. “He’ll survive.”

“Brother,” Robert began. “I’m shocked.”

“Sure, if he does survive, what then?” Punch answered. “Marie Laveau is up to somethin’ what’s only gonna prove to be dangerous not just to us but to lots of folk. Could we possibly leave knowin’ that what she’s about will only bring pain to folk? Now, I know you don’t believe it what Naasir said, and, I don’t know if I do or not. But, so far, all that he told us has come to pass. If it is my destiny to put a stop to this, wouldn’t us leavin’ only make everythin’ worse for all of us?”

“I can’t allow myself to dissolve into this hysterical Voodoo madness with the rest of you.” Cecil replied angrily. “And, Robert, you say you’re shocked? Well, think how I must feel. You’re a man of science. Can you honestly put any stock in any of this foolishness?”

“I wouldn’t have thought so.” Robert sighed. “But, I’ve seen and experienced things since we’ve been here that fly in the face of anything I ever believed before. Are you so pompous and egotistical that you can believe that our world is defined only by practices of our own making? I don’t think that you are. I’ve seen you on your knees in prayer. You must believe in something beyond ourselves and our own actions.”

“Blasphemy.” Cecil snorted.

“When did you become so pious?” Robert asked.

“I’d hardly call myself pious.” Cecil growled. “I believe in what’s proper. None of this is proper.”

“Suddenly you’re the judge of what’s proper?” Robert snapped. “You who has sat alone with a nude woman while you sculpted her form. I don’t think that most of London Society would consider that proper behavior for a gentleman.”

“That’s hardly the same thing.” Cecil snarled. “What you and Punch are suggesting is…” Cecil’s voice trailed off as he looked around the room.

Suddenly, Robert realized that he was alone with his brother.

“Dear God,” Cecil groaned. “He’s gone off on his own.”

“This is your fault,” Robert grunted as he fled the room.

Robert hurried down the stairs. “Marjani!”

Meridian met Robert at the base of the stairs. “Marjani’s gone out, Sir. She and His Grace left not a minute ago.”



Did you miss Chapters 1-333? If so, you can read them here. Come back on Tuesday, September 6 for Chapter 335 of Punch’s Cousin.

No comments: