Tuesday, September 6, 2011

Punch’s Cousin, Chapter 335

“Where’s this place?” Punch asked.

“Just follow me,” Marjani whispered. “It’s at the back of town.”

“Is it a bad place?” Punch panted as they hurried toward the Place Congo.

“It didn’t have to be.” Marjani sighed. “I guess it isn’t always. You see, Mr. Punch, it’s really meant to be a place for folk like me to meet and learn from one another. The city set it aside for us to dance and sing and sell our crafts to one another. Most of us done use it like that. Most of us like for to see each other and talk ‘bout them things that we share as a people. But, some folk—folk like Marie—they take it over at night and use it as a gathering space for their own…” Marjani shook her head. “They just done made it into their own place.”

“Coo!” Punch snorted.

“I hear ya, Mr. Punch.”

“It ain’t fair.” Punch grumbed. “It just ain’t fair when humans take somethin’ what’s meant to be good and turn it into somethin’ ugly.”

“That’s what folk do.” Marjani shrugged. “It ain’t all bad, Sir. I don’t begrudge folk their freedom. I think folk should believe whatever it is that they want.”

“Only they should just go on ‘bout doin’ it and leave the rest of us out of it.” Punch growled. “Here, I am the first what knows how important it ‘tis to learn ‘bout new things. Just think of all the things I learned since I been usin’ me master’s body. But, once I learn somethin’ what I don’t believe, I don’t want to have to continue to fight with it.”

“I know.” Marjani nodded.

“Here, what’s that?” Punch pointed to the flickering firelight which could be seen through the thicket of trees in front of the Place Congo.

“That’s where we’re goin’,” Marjani smiled. “Are you ready, Mr. Punch?”

“I reckon.” Punch nodded.

“You’re startin’ to talk like me, Sir.” Marjani chuckled softly.

“Can’t think of no one better,” Punch patted Marjani’s arm.

“Here we go, then,” Marjani sighed. “Whatever you do, keep your thoughts clear. Marie can hear all that you’re thinkin’.”

“I will.” Punch nodded. “Only, what if I think things without wantin’ to?”

“Try to think only of what’s right in front of us.” Marjani grinned.

“Or, maybe what I want her to think I’m thinkin’.” Punch giggled quietly.

“Wait.” Marjani narrowed her eyes.

“What is it?”

“That ain’t a bad idea,” Marjani grinned.



Did you miss Chapters 1-334? If so, you can read them here.

2 comments:

Darcy said...

I love the way the dialogue flows between Mr. Punch and Marjani. The longer they work toward the same goals the more in sync they become in their thougts.

Joseph Crisalli said...

Thank you, Darcy. I like writing scenes between Marjani and Punch. Here are two very different people: A Duke/Jeweler with Dissociative Identity Disorder and a freed slave/Yellow Fever nurse. Yet, they are so similar in disposition. I find their friendship refreshing. Thanks for commenting!