Friday, September 9, 2011

Punch’s Cousin, Chapter 338

Marjani was surprised when Iolanthe Evangeline approached her with compassion in her eyes.


“Watch this one, Miss Iolanthe,” A man behind Marjani snarled. “She’s tricky.”

“I’ll make sure she does nothing.” Iolanthe nodded.

Ulrika rushed forward and Marjani took a step back, keenly aware that her path was blocked by several of Marie’s followers.

“Really, I won’t do anything to you,” Ulrika said. “Don’t be afraid.”

“Neither of us will,” Iolanthe whispered.

“Why should I believe you?” Marjani asked, staring daggers at the two women whose faces were both queerly illuminated by the light of the fire in the distance.

“Because we’re in the same position.” Ulrika answered flatly.

“How you figure?” Marjani tilted her head to one side.

“Aren’t we also being guarded here?” Ulrika shrugged. “Marie made sure we couldn’t interfere.”

“Why’d you want to interfere? Ain’t you both under her spell?”

“I wouldn’t say that,” Ulrika laughed.

“Listen to me,” Iolanthe said. “I understand why you feel that way. Now, I don’t want you thinkin’ I don’t. Marie’s gone mad, I think. We tried to stop her from usin’ that man—Charles, and from torturin’ Barbara Allen.”

“We did. And, believe me, really, I’m not even remotely fond of Barbara. However, at a point, enough is enough. As much as I want Barbara to be gone—and I have my own reasons for that—I don’t want to see her tortured. Even I wouldn’t enjoy that.”

“We are sincere, Marjani.” Iolanthe added. “We may have had our quarrels, but, but in this, we are united. Your master is out there right now, yes?”

“His Grace is not my master. He is my friend. And, yes, he is out there now.”

“No doubt trying to get his servant and his sister away from Marie.” Iolanthe asked.

“Well, what do you think?” Marjani grunted.

“Now, I hate that man. If I said otherwise, you’d know I was lyin’.” Iolanthe sighed.

“True.” Marjani nodded.

“I loathe him.” Ulrika smiled. “I really do.”

“But, we’re willin’ to help you and he get out of here.” Iolanthe said.

“Why?” Marjani asked.

“Well, as much as I’d enjoy watching the Duke get what he was due from Marie, we both realize that if Marie uses him for her particular purposes, it will only increase her power. And none of us want that.” Ulrika smiled.

“We sure don’t” Iolanthe agreed.

“Between the three of us, we can, at least, get the Duke, Barbara and Charles out of here.” Ulrika snorted. “I know that Giovanni wouldn’t let anything happen to his brother. He’s playing along, certainly. But, he’ll protect his kin. And, I know he’ll protect me. He’ll help us.”

“Will he?” Marjani shrugged.

“Will you join us?” Iolanthe asked.

Marjani was silent.

Meanwhile, at the house on Royal Street, Robert very sharply shouted at Agnes Rittenhouse entered the parlor. “You’re not welcome in this house!”

“Please, I need to his His Grace.” Agnes begged.

“He’s not here.” Adrienne said, pulling her dressing gown tighter around herself.

“It’s terribly important.” Agnes moaned. “I know that His Grace is not well. We all know this. This very night, he struck me with an umbrella.”

“Did he?” Cecil smiled.

“He did.” Agnes nodded seriously. “But, I’m still loyal. Loyal to Lady Barbara at least. I fear she’s in danger.”

“We are aware of that.” Cecil responded.

“So, you know something?” Agnes asked.

“Nothing we wish to discuss with you.” Robert interrupted.

“Please,” Agnes pleaded, tears rising in her eyes. “Put aside your contempt for me so that we may help an innocent girl.”

“Innocent?” Robert spat.

“Please!” Agnes groaned.



Did you miss Chapters 1-337? If so, you can read them here.

No comments: