Saturday, September 10, 2011

Punch’s Cousin, Chapter 339

Do come in,”’ Adrienne said, rushing over to Agnes Rittenhouse and guiding her to a chair. Cecil began to speak, but a quick glance from Adrienne silenced him. “Tell me what’s troubling you.”

“Lady Barbara has left the house,” Agnes replied breathlessly.

“Which house?” Robert frowned.

“You know very well which house,” Agnes snapped.

“Ah, yes, the bawdy house where she has once again settled.” Robert nodded.

“She’s still an innocent young woman.” Agnes gasped.

“Robert, would you like to continue judging Barbara for her place of residence—a place where I myself once lived—or may we continue?” Adrienne asked.

“I beg your pardon,” Robert whispered.

“No one knows where she’s gone,” Agnes said. “But, I suspect that she’s gotten herself involved with trouble again. Not even Mala can say where she went, and though the woman is hideous, she does seem to know everything that happens in that house.”

“We know where she’s gone.” Robert replied stiffly. “She’s with Marie Laveau, and, you’re correct. She’s in danger.”

“Oh dear!’ Agnes said, putting her hands to her mouth.

“His Grace, the Duke, has gone to fetch her.” Adrienne said comfortingly.

“I suppose I’m to take comfort in that?” Agnes sighed.

“I suggest that you do.” Cecil sneered.

“Please, can’t you two gentlemen go, too?” Agnes asked.

Adrienne looked at her husband and brother-in-law.

“I had already planned on doing so. But, not, I should note, for Barbara’s sake.” Robert nodded. “Unless, of course, my brother wishes to object further.”

“No. I will accompany you.” Cecil answered gravely.

“And you shall wait here with me.” Adrienne said to Agnes.

Cecil raised his eyebrows.

“Do you have a comment, my dear?” Adrienne asked.

“No.” Cecil said as he exited to get dressed.

At that very moment, Mr. Punch was struggling to free himself from the ropes which bound his wrists. The heat from the fire blazed against his back and made him sweat. He looked over at his sister who sat next to him on the ground, slack-jawed, her arms also bound.

“Here, Barbara,” Punch hissed. “If we help each other, we can break free of this and go get Marjani.”

“Charles,” Barbara whispered.

“We can get Charles, too.” Punch nodded. “Only I don’t know where he’s gone to. Last I saw his brother carried him off, he did. But, he’s still here somewhere.”

“Charles,” Barbara repeated.

“Oh, you’re no good to me!” Punch spat.

Mr. Punch looked over his shoulder at the fire where he could barely make out the burning corpses of Arthur and Nellie.

“Well, least there’s some justice, I ‘spose.” Punch sighed. “Funny. Once I thought that I’d killed him me-self. Tossed him in the sea. I ‘spose that was too quiet a death for such a man. Serves him right he’d end up dying from fever and burnin’ in fire. It’s the perfect entrance to Hell, it is. And, that’s where he’ll end up.”

“Charles,” Barbara muttered.

“Coo! What you goin’ on ‘bout? We ain’t forgotten ‘bout Charles! What you doin’ here anyway? Thought you were takin’ a bath at Iolanthe’s. Seems to me this all coulda been avoided, it does. Shoulda listened to me chums and stayed home with the dog and the puppet and the babies what are all nice instead of bein’ here tied up by a fire with the likes of you.”

He looked at Barbara who didn’t respond.

“Ain’t that grand?” Punch grunted. “Here, what’s this all ‘bout anyway? Is it some kind of celebration? I ain’t been to many, but I somehow doubt that guests are regularly tied up at these things.”

Barbara didn’t answer.

“Nothin’, huh?” Punch sighed. “Once again I’m on me own.”

From within the body he shared with Julian, Punch heard a familiar voice—his master’s. “You’re never alone, Mr. Punch.”

“I ‘spose that’s true,” Punch replied without moving his lips. “You got any ideas?”

“I think we need some forceful assistance.” Julian answered wordlessly.

“What do you suggest?” Mr. Punch asked.

“I don’t really know,” Julian said privately. “But, I suspect that Mr. Scaramouche may be of some assistance.”



Did you miss Chapters 1-338? If so, you can read them here. Come back on Monday, September 12, 2011 for Chapter 340 of Punch’s Cousin.

No comments: