Monday, September 19, 2011

Punch’s Cousin, Chapter 346

The vision of Prince Albert spoke softly as he ushered Julian through the imagined door to his past.


“They’ve tried to do this before. Are you aware of this?”

“They?” Julian squinted, refusing to look at the image of the room where he’d spent the first years of his life.

“Guignol, Scaramouche—the others.” Albert answered gruffly. “They’ve even devised other schemes to make you more amenable to the idea.”

“What sort of schemes?”

“Did you really think that the spirit of your deceased valet appeared to you within your own mind?” Albert spat.

“I…” Julian shook his head. “I didn’t really question it.”

“No, I don’t suspect you did.” The Prince grunted.

“I questioned you—your presence.” Julian replied tartly, beginning to become irritated.

“Indeed.” Prince Albert smiled.

“Are you one of their devises?”

“What do you think?” The Prince chuckled.

“You’d have to be.” Julian frowned. “I didn’t think Guignol or Scaramouche sophisticated enough for this.”

“What makes you think it was those two?”

“Well, it wasn’t Punch. I can hear him calling for me.”

“No,” Prince Albert answered gravely. “It most assuredly wasn’t Mr. Punch. He’s the one who has prevented you from revisiting your past, your memories. He’s been the creature that’s blocked you. He is, as he says, the ‘Guard.’”

“And, I thank him for it.” Julian nodded.

“You’re still not looking.” Albert pointed to the room to which Julian had since turned his back. “Your Mr. Punch is not here now.”

“I’ve learned to ‘guard’ myself.” Julian snorted.

“Have you?” Prince Albert laughed. “Haven’t you become complex? Yet, not so complex as to understand how your own mind functions or who is presently in control.”

“I am in control.” Julian shouted.

“Are you?” Prince Albert grinned. “Then, turn around and look at your room. It should be familiar to you.”

“It is.” Julian scowled. “If you’re a creation of my own thinking, you must recall that it’s only been a few weeks since I was last in Fallbridge Hall. Of course I remember it.”

“The Hall, yes.” Albert nodded. “But, that room? When was the last time you were in that room?”

“I don’t know.” Julian shrugged.

“Why haven’t you been in there?”

“I don’t like the way it smells. Roses.” Julian shuddered.

“You love roses, Your Grace!” Albert snapped.

“Yes, on the plant or cut and in a vase—fresh and colorful. Not dried and dead. Not that. That smell is different.”

“Do you smell it now?” The Prince asked.

“I do.” Julian shivered. “It permeates the room.”

“Look at the room,” Prince Albert repeated.

“No.”

Prince Albert grabbed Julian by the shoulders and forced him to turn around. “Look at the room!”

Suddenly, Julian’s eyes stung and burned as a scene that he hoped never to remember flickered in front of him.



Did you miss Chapters 1-345? If so, you can read them here.

2 comments:

Clare Floyd DeVries said...

Joseph-

I just happened across this and wondered if you knew about it? Neil Gaiman wrote a graphic novel "Mr. Punch" (horror-ish it sounds like) that was turned into a pretty wild theater production by Rogue Artists Ensemble.

Looks interesting.

http://www.rogueartists.org/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=34&Itemid=91

Joseph Crisalli said...

Hi Clare! I've not read Gaiman's Punch but have heard excellent things about it.