Monday, October 10, 2011

Masterpiece of the Day: The Dinglinger Box, 1705

Enameled and Jeweled Box
Dresden, 1705
The Victoria & Albert Museum
In case you’ve not noticed, let me point out that today’s posting has been sporadic and difficult. Somehow, all Internet connections in my area are messed up. This seems to be a probalem that’s reaching a forty mile radius. Every time I think, “Now, I can download my pictures and go on about my business,” the darn thing freezes up and I’m stuck. So, I apologize if I seem slow today. Also, I’m aware that most everything I’ve put up today has been formatted oddly.
Oh well. Let’s soldier onward.

Even though technology is not cooperating with me, I am always amused by this name. “The Dinglinger Box. Say it with me, “Dinglinger.” Love it.

So, here’s the Dinglinger (ha!) Box. This cylindrical gold and silver box has a cover which has been enameled and set with rose-cut diamonds in silver settings and four rubies.

The box is the work of Johann Melchior Dinglinger (1664-1731). Dinglinger was the court jeweler to Augustus the Strong of Saxony, Germany.

2 comments:

Darcy said...

If Frank Sinatra was alive in 1705 he probably would have called it A Ringa Dinglinger. All kidding aside this is a really beautiful piece.

Joseph Crisalli said...

Ah! That's wonderful! Now, I wish I could hear him say that!