Friday, December 30, 2011

Punch’s Cousin, Chapter 425


Give me that baby, Odo!”  Punch said, bursting forward.

“Sure, sure,”  Odo grinned, handing the child to Mr. Punch.  “I don’t want him.”

Punch gently took Colin from Odo and hugged him.

“How’d you get him?”  Mr. Punch demanded.

“Seems your friend Mrs. Routhe, she got tired.”

“What’s going on?”  Robert panted as he approached, followed by Marjani.

“Marjani,”  Punch rasped, “will you take Colin over there with the others and watch over him?”

“Yes, Sir.”  Marjani said, taking the baby.  She turned to Odo before hurrying off with the boy, “If you done anything to Mama Routhe, you have no idea what harsh punishment will fall on your head, you yellow-eyed monster.”

“I ain’t done nothin’ to her.”  Odo grinned.

Alone with the man, Robert and Mr. Punch began to question him.  All the while, Odo grinned his slick, amber smile.

“Where’s Mrs. Routhe?”  Robert asked.

“She was tired, like I said.  She went off with a nice lady whose gonna look after her.”

“Who?”  Punch demanded.

“She didn’t tell me her name.  Jus’ tol’ me to take the baby to ya.”  Odo laughed.

“She didn’t tell you her name, this woman?”  Robert scowled.

“Didn’t have to.”  Odo winked.  “We all know her.”

“Iolanthe!”  Punch snapped.

“No!”  Odo shook his head. “I wouldn’t do nothin’ wit’ that Evangeline woman.  Can’t trust her.  No, this was Marie Laveau.”

Robert and Mr. Punch exchanged glances.

Odo nodded.  “Marie’ll take good care of your Mama Routhe.  Who knows?  The two might get on real well.  Maybe Mrs. Routhe can be a nanny for Marie’s new baby when it comes.”

“We can’t leave that nice lady with Marie Laveau,” Mr. Punch whispered to Robert.

“Oh, go on.”  Odo interrupted.  “Don’t you white men try to fool me.  You ain’t so concerned ‘bout no black woman.”

“Shut your mouth,”  Robert snarled.

“Now, now…”  Odo clucked his tongue.  “You got other things for to worry ‘bout.”

“Such as?”  Mr. Punch asked.

“Well, you got debts.”

“To whom?”  Robert spat.

“Me, for starts.  I done you a service.”

“By bringing…”

Odo stopped Robert by waving his hand.  “Now, you know full well, I coulda brought the boy to Mr. Cage.  He’s my master, after all.  But, no, I done brought him to you. Now, I ‘spect there’s gonna be some kind of reward.  Am I right?”

“What do you want, you beastie?”  Punch frowned.

“Nothin’ much.”  Odo grinned broadly.  “I jus’ want you to take me with ya to England.”



Did you miss Chapters 1-424?  If so, you can read them here.  Come back on Tuesday, January 3 for Chapter 426 of Punch’s Cousin.  

No comments: