Thursday, January 19, 2012

Punch’s Cousin, Chapter 440

Mala limped toward the dark, gleaming door of Iolanthe Evangeline’s boudoir and knocked cautiously.

“Enter, Mala,” Iolanthe growled.

Mala opened the door slightly, poking her homely face into the room.

“What’s my little hobgoblin want?” Iolanthe asked, her voice dripping with faux sweetness.

“I done what ya asked, Miss.” Mala said.

“Come into the room, for Christ’s sake!” Iolanthe bellowed. “I can’t abide that.”

Mala hesitantly entered the room.

“Are you frightened of me, Mala?” Iolanthe grinned, smoothing the satin of her long, lavender gloves. She grimaced as she did since the fabric, soft as it was, still snagged the burns on her hands.

“No, Miss.” Mala muttered.

“Honestly?”

“Well, yes, of course I’m frightened of ya!” Mala blurted out. “Everyone is!”

“And well they should be. I don’t want you thinkin’ they shouldn’t.”

“Are…are…” Mala began.

“Yes, I’m still angry with you.” Iolanthe replied. “How dare you keep me waiting last night!”

“I’m so, so sorry, Miss.” Mala shivered.

“Well, it can’t be helped. Nevertheless, you may have helped me more than you can know. Your little games with Odo led to Marie Laveau—and, that, though you didn’t know it, was my aim in the first place. So, not only do I know where the Duke and his companions are, I’ve got Marie Laveau on her way.”

“That’s what I came up to tell ya, Miss.” Mala cleared her throat. “She done already come.”

“Wonderful,” Iolanthe grinned. “You’re forgiven.”

“Thank you, Miss.”

“But, if you ever keep me waiting again, I’ll cut off your ears and make you use them as spoons.” Iolanthe growled.

“Yes, Miss.” Mala shook.

“Now, go fetch Marie and bring her to me. Then, bring up the tea. And remember what I told you!”

“Put the solution in the teapot with the roses. And do it myself, don’t let anyone else touch it.”

“That’s right.” Iolanthe nodded. “Now, go!”

Mala shuffled off, closing the door behind her.

Iolanthe sat at her dressing table and picked up her lip rouge, delicately swiping crimson across her lips with her finger. She smiled at her own reflection, the scarlet of her cruel mouth pulling up at the corners.

“Finally,” She sighed. “All these decades will melt away and I will be forever young. With that youth, my son will thrive. This I vow.”

She giggled.

“Ah, Marie Laveau. I hope you enjoy your tea. With each sip you’ll bring me everything I ever dreamt of.”



Did you miss Chapters 1-439? If so, you can read them here.

No comments: