Thursday, February 2, 2012

Punch’s Cousin, Chapter 452

I can’t walk no more.” Marie Laveau moaned to her daughter.

“We’ll stop soon, Mama.” Young Marie answered. She tightened her grip around her mother’s waist.

“The baby,” Marie mumbled.

“I know, Mama.” Young Marie sniffed, trying to hold back her tears.

“I’ll make that Iolanthe pay for this.” Marie trembled.

“You won’t have to do it alone, Mama.” Young Marie growled.

“All my plans…” Marie Laveau groaned. She paused and gripped her abdomen.

“Why don’t we stop here?” Young Marie pointed to a tavern to their left. “We can get you some water.”

“We can’t go in there.” Marie snapped.

“Sure we can. There’s a place for colored folks through the alley.”

“How you know that?” Marie narrowed her eyes.

“Cuz some o’ the men talk ‘bout it.” Young Marie sighed.

“Fine, fine.” Marie croaked.

Young Marie helped her mother through the alleyway and into the rear door of the tavern. With considerable effort, she helped her mother sit upon a stiff, mean wooden chair.

Marie moaned as her daughter waved for help.

“How’d you know where to find me?” Marie whispered to her eldest child. “How’d you know where I was?”

“That Italian man.” Young Marie answered, cringing as she spoke, knowing that the answer would anger her mother further.

“What Italian man?”

“Calls himself Charles. He’s always with that Barbara Allen.”

“Why? How’d you see him?”

“He came by the house after the fire marshal.”

“Fire marshal?” Marie squinted.

“I know now that it was a trick. That Charles was tryin’ for to get Mrs. Routhe.”

“And did he?”

“Yes, Mama.” Young Marie lowered her head.

Marie was silent for a few minutes. Finally, she spoke. “Don’t matter now. Ain’t no baby for her to…” She grunted. “Don’t matter now.” Sighing, she looked around the tavern. Suddenly, she spotted Ty Odo who, next to the ample frame of Amber, was crouched by the lattice-work screen which separated the two sections of the tavern.

“Ain’t that Edward Cage’s man?” Marie asked.

“The wiry little runt? Yes.” Young Marie nodded.

“Odo!” Marie Laveau barked.

Odo turned around, his eyes widening when he spotted Marie Laveau.

Marie crooked her finger at him.

Odo shook his head.

“Come over here, Odo!” Marie snarled.

Odo put his finger to his lips. He didn’t want Barbara, Ulrika and Giovanni to hear her from the other side of the screen.

“Keep your eye on them.” Odo whispered to Amber.

“Sure, Sugar.” Amber winked. “For a price.”

“Whatever you want.” Odo grumbled.

He approached Marie and recoiled when he saw her bloody dress.

“What happened?” He gasped.

“Iolanthe Evangeline.” Marie growled.

“Did ya…”

“Yes.” Marie said.

“I’m sorry.” Odo answered sincerely.

“I believe you are.” Marie replied.

Odo wiped his eyes. “Long, long ago,” he began, “I had a bride. Well, she weren’t really my bride, but we loved each other. She died tryin’ to have our chil’.”

“So, that’s why you’re so cruel?” Marie grinned.

“Maybe.” Odo shrugged. “I never was very kind.”

“Join us, Odo.” Marie pointed to the chair next to her daughter.

“Forgive me, Miss Laveau, but I can’t.”

“Why not?”

“I’m doin’ somethin’.”

“What?”

Odo inhaled.

“You got somethin’ goin’. Huh? Don’t bother lyin’ to me, Odo. I’ll find out anyway.”

“Wasn’t my plan.” Odo said.

“Whose?”

Odo sniffed.

“Whose, Odo?”

“Barbara Allen, Miss.”

“Tell me more, Odo.” Marie grinned through her pain. “Tell me all ‘bout it.”



Did you miss Chapters 1-451? If so, you can read them here.

No comments: