Friday, May 18, 2012

Object of the Day: Another Trade Card for Libby’s Canned Meat





On Monday, we looked at one of my antique trade cards which had been produced for the meat-packing concern Libby, McNeill & Libby.  The card advertised for cooked, corned beef sold in Libby’s trademark trapezoidal box.  That card featured an image which looked a lot like Mr. Punch…or, at the very least, a jester.

This one features a female figure standing on the Libby’s carton.  To me, she looks like Judy (as in Mr. Punch’s puppet wife).  She could simply be a representation of a country woman or a fairytale figure.

She tells us:

“So handy to have in the house.  Libby, McNeill & Libby’s Cooked Corned Beef.”






2 comments:

Darcy said...

Yes, maybe she looks like puppet Judy or a fairy tale character, but I find her kind of scary. I think she looks like she could be Norman Bate's mother.

Joseph Crisalli said...

Yes, she does! Even if I was inclined to buy potted meat, which I certainly am not, this would not entice me to purchase Libby's Corned Beef.