Wednesday, June 27, 2012

Mr. Punch of Belgrave Square, Chapter 73


Chapter 73: 
I Am Here 



Mr. Punch climbed the narrow, winding stone staircase which led the top of one of Grange Molliner’s five thin turrets.

“We can see the whole estate from up here,” Punch smiled over his shoulder at Robert who was a few steps behind.

“I can’t imagine that Miss Barrett could have gotten far.” Robert frowned.

“How unlike her to wander off without tellin’ no one—‘specially with Gamilla watchin’ Colin.” Mr. Punch shook his head. “If she wanted a walk or some air, she should know well ‘nough to ask Speaight first. I can’t think what’s gotten into her.”

Robert clucked his tongue as they arrived at the top of the staircase. “I have no idea what she’s like anymore. She’s not quite the steady lass I thought she was.”

“Lass?” Punch chuckled as he opened the trapdoor to the deck of the turret. “Been in Scotland less than a day and you’re already callin’ girls ‘lass.’”

“I’m a quick study,” Robert teased.

“Least I got ya to smile.” Punch winked, giving Robert a hand onto the deck. As the wind hit Robert’s dark hair, Punch gasped slightly.

“Yes?” Robert smiled.

“Oh, nothin’.” Punch shook his head. “I don’t know why I done that.”

“Carried away by my good looks.” Robert grinned broadly and overdramatically.

“Probably so.” Mr. Punch laughed. “Wouldn’t be the first time.”

“The view is astounding from here.” Robert nodded, sighing.

“Sure.” Punch agreed, joining Robert at the crenellated edge of the tower. “Julian used to come up here all the time when we visited here. Kept him ‘way from…”

“Away from whom?” Robert asked, placing his hand over Mr. Punch’s.

“Dunno.” Punch shrugged. “Guess away from Nanny Rittenhouse. The duchess didn’t come back after that long autumn she spent here with our pa, so when Sir Colin took us here, he’d have to bring the nanny. But…”

“Is something on your mind, dear Punch?” Robert asked, still holding Punch’s hand.

“I dunno.” Punch repeated. “Ain’t it queer? It’s my lot to remember, yet I feel like maybe I forgot somethin’.”

“Something about Nanny Rittenhouse?”

“Who could say?” Punch shrugged.

“Nannies, it seems, are an awful lot of trouble.” Robert joked.

“I don’t see no sign of Miss Barrett.” Punch frowned, peering over the side. “What were she wearin’, Chum?”

“I don’t recall.” Robert shook his head.

“Somethin’ drab, I’d guess.” Punch shrugged. “Poor girl, could be pretty if she wasn’t always in gray. It’s like she’s in mournin’.”

“Maybe she is.” Robert sighed. “Nevertheless, it wouldn’t really be fitting for our governess to be flitting about in a scarlet gown. So, I suppose her choices of color are limited.”

“True.” Punch nodded. “Still, it’s a shame. Makes her look dull.”

“I don’t think she’s at all pretty,” Robert grumbled.

“I think Charles does.” Punch grinned.

“Do you?” Robert squinted. “I rather got the impression that they detested one another.”

“Eh…” Punch shook his head. “Sometimes the folks what like each other the best seem to hate each other the most.”

“Sometimes.” Robert nodded. “Well, my dear. I don’t see her.”

“She ain’t in the house, Chum. The boys, Speaight and Mrs. Pepper looked all over for her. Even Mrs. North did. I think Finlay’s out at the stables lookin’ for her now.”

“Where could she have gone?” Robert wrinkled his nose in annoyance.

“Oh, Robert, there’s all sorts of places where a body can hide here. Even without tryin’.” Punch sighed. “Believe me, I been in most of ‘em.”

“I suppose we’ll have to go search the grounds, then.” Robert grumbled.

“Yep.” Punch replied. “Here, did ya ever notice that we don’t never get to eat?”

“I’ve noticed.” Robert scowled.

“Well, come on, then, let’s get it over with.” Punch snorted. “You go first, Chum. I’m more used to the trap than you.” Punch pointed to the trapdoor. “I’ll hold your hand.”

“Hold on,” Robert smiled, pausing near the low wall which surrounded the turret. “What’s this, then?”

“What?” Punch asked, looking at the spot which Robert studied.

“There’s a carving here. Something has been chipped out of the stone. A little…picture…”

Punch’s eyes widened. “Oh…dear, dear, dear. I forgot all ‘bout it.”

Robert knelt down and looked at the markings in the stone. He looked up at Punch with affection.

“I done it.” Punch smiled sheepishly. “Long, long ‘go. Probably thirty years…”

“It’s quite sweet.” Robert sniffed, running his fingers over the craving. There, on the stone a crude outline of Mr. Punch had been carved—Punch, the puppet with his humped back and hooked nose (not Punch as he looked as the Duke, of course). Beneath the carved sketch, the words “I am here” had been incised.

“You wanted someone to know that you existed,” Robert stood up, putting his arm around Punch’s shoulders.

Mr. Punch nodded. “Wondered if anyone would ever know. S’pose I got you to thank for letting me free.”

“I could say the same about you, Dear Punch.” Robert smiled. “Now, let’s find that damned woman so we can have our tea.”



Did you Miss Chapters 1-72? If so, you can read them here. Come back tomorrow for Chapter 74 of Mr. Punch of Belgrave Square.

4 comments:

Darcy said...

It's the little touches like the crude stone carving of Mr. Punch and the words " I am here " that make this story so special.

Joseph Crisalli said...

Thank you, Darcy!

Book Gurl said...

I agree with Darcy. I love those little touches.

Joseph Crisalli said...

I appreciate that.