Monday, June 4, 2012

Print of the Day: Song Sheet Cover for 'Oh! The Jubilee,' c. 1887

Oh!  The Jubilee
Sheet Music Cover
H.G. Banks, Artist
for Francis Bros., and Day
The Harry Beard Collection
The Victoria & Albert Museum





You must be patient with me today. My Internet connection is being ornery. I don't know if it's from the warm weather, the rain that's bearing down on this area or just the fact that the world is trying to make me batty. Nevertheless, as updates are able to roll out today, they will. But rest assured, I've got the usual fun in store for you and then some.

So, let's push on. Shall we?

Written and composed by James Tighe in the late 1880s for the Golden Jubilee of Queen Victoria, “Oh! The Jubilee,” was published by Francis Bros. and Day. We see the cover for the song, depicting performer Charles Coborn surrounded by comic items suggesting “Jubilee” such as the “Jubilee Frying Pan,” “Jubilee Pills,” etc. Published by Francis Bros & Day.




No comments: