Monday, June 25, 2012

Treat of the Week: Lemon Icebox Cookies with Lemon Chiffon Ice Cream and Cherry Sauce



A wonderful dinner of my mother’s homemade red sauce and meatballs made our Sunday together a very special occasion. Accompanying the dinner was a luscious, cool tomato and mozzarella salad with a fresh lemon-herb dressing which absorbed nicely into the wonderful rosemary bread that my mother served with it. The lemon in the dressing set the stage for the real showstopper which was to follow. 



This week’s treat of the week is a double feature. First, we have homemade lemon icebox cookies. The dough includes lemon juice and lemon zest. It is then chilled in a log, rolled in turbinado sugar, cut and baked. The finished cookies have a glorious, mellow lemon taste. A drizzle of lemon-infused sugar glaze adds extra beauty for the taste buds as well as the ice.

Along with these lovely cookies, we were treated by another of my mother’s brilliant ice cream creations made in her Cuisinart Ice Cream Machine. This lemon chiffon ice cream is flavored with just a little lemon extract and has a refreshing, light lemon taste. My mother created a special sauce to go with it. The sauce included pitted fresh cherries, brandy and cassis and is a truly excellent accompaniment to the smooth lemon ice cream. 


I confess, I ate quite a lot of this yesterday, and I don’t regret one bite. As the temperatures soar, there’s little that’s more simultaneously soothing and invigorating than the flavor of lemon.








14 comments:

Carolyn said...

That ice cream would really hit the spot today. It looks so cooling and wonderful!

April said...

Now why can't I have nice things like that? I'd do criminal things for that cherry sauce.

Angelo said...

Aweome. I wanna dive into that bowl. Your mom's tomato salad makes my mom's look like some cr** from the Olive Garden. I wound't tell her that, but its true.

Barb said...

I think that would be a great flavor combo!

Matt said...

Most beautiful salad ever. The ice-cream is a true treat, too!

Kathy said...

I'm loving the sauce, Will try my own version of it.

Gene said...

That ice cream would be very nice to have today.

Marsha said...

Too beautiful again!!!

Sam P said...

Mmmmmmmm...to all of it, but especially that salad!

Wendy said...

Your mom always makes everything so attractive. Even the ice cream is gorgeous.

Mark said...

Lemon flavour is one of my favourites. I'd love this.

Beth Ann said...

Looking good!

Barry said...

Just lovely!

Anonymous said...

Always love to see this.