Monday, July 16, 2012

Treat of the Week and our 16 Favorite Treats of the Week



To celebrate the second anniversary of Stalking the Belle Époque, yesterday my mother hosted a magnificent feast of marinated, grilled chicken, angel hair pasta with marinara and ricotta, glorious baby eggplants parmesan and a beautiful salad. 




As wonderful as dinner was, once again the dessert was the star of the show. This week, we were treated to a beautiful peach custard tart which was glazed with jam and adorned with nuts which shone like jewels. To accompany it, my mother whipped up a raspberry and black apricot coulis. I’d never heard of black apricots before, but, I must say I was very, very impressed. The cool custard, infused with the flavor of fresh peaches was a lush counterpoint to the rich, homemade cookie crust. The coulis added elegant notes and the brilliant flavor of raspberries which comingled delightfully with the black apricots. Freshly whipped cream rounded out the flavor palette. It was the perfect celebration. 









It was an especially fitting dessert since our very first “Treat of the Week” on July 19, 2010 was a fruit and custard tart.

Over the last two years, the “Treat of the Week” has remained one of the most popular features of this site. Let’s take a look at your favorite sixteen treats of the week.



1. Bertie’s Birthday Burger Bash, 2012 

Each year, of course, we have a party to celebrate Bertie’s birthday. And, each year, my mother outdoes herself with a special cake for our favorite terrier. This year’s birthday cake was an edible replica of one of Bertie’s favorite toys.


2. Mr. Punch Cookies 

This year’s Mothers’ Day celebration corresponded with Mr. Punch’s 350th birthday. So, while my father was making a special meal for my mom, my mother was whipping up some very lovely treats in honor of “The Big Grin.”


3. A Strawberry and Blueberry Roulade 

This strawberry and blueberry roulade was the height of elegance.


4. An Easter Feast 

My parents always go out of their way to make holidays special. This Easter feast complete with a magnificent saffron and lemon checkerboard cake was one of the most impressive.

5. A Meringue Torte 

This gorgeous torte was a recipe that my grandmother favored. My mother expertly recreated it.


6. The Annual Valentine Tea 

My favorite holiday feast occurs each Valentine’s Day. Our traditional Valentine’s tea is a posh affair of wee sandwiches and glorious pastries.


7. New Year’s 2012 
Another of our holiday meals made the list. This past year’s celebration for the changing of the calendar was both spicy and cool.


8. The Christmas Cottage 

I actually received emails asking if my mother was going to make her famous Christmas Cottage Cake again. And, of course, she did.


9. My 38th Birthday 

The best part of turning thirty-eight--in fact, the only good part as far as I can figure---was this majestic strawberry cake. I confess, I dream of this cake. Truly. I do. I haunts me. I miss it. It was, by far, my favorite cake ever…and I’ve eaten quite a lot of cake in my life.
10. The Pecan-Maple Penuche 

If you’re a fan of pralines, you’ll love this splendid confection with it’s perfect texture and mild flavor.


11. “Grandma” Cookies 

These traditional Italian cookies have been a constant in my life. As a child, I always adored them and, if possible, I love them more as an adult. This past year, I learned how to make them and my mother graciously allowed me to chronicle the process.


12. The Spooky Spider Cake 

No Halloween would be complete without this delicious chocolate cake adorned with friendly orange spiders.
13. The Peach Cake 

A very close runner up for favorite (for me) is this peach cake that my mother made for my parents’ recent wedding anniversary.


14. Italian Egg Cookies 

Another traditional Italian cookie, these light airy confections are perfect with any meal.


15. The Gingerbread Union Jack

After seeing my mother’s American Flag cake, a friend from the U.K. asked if she could recreate the Union Jack. Of course, my mother did—using a rich gingerbread base.


16. Whoopie Pies 

The only way to not like a Whoopie Pie is to never have had one. This batch was especially grand.



15 comments:

Carolyn said...

So many good, tasty memories!

Matt said...

I want all of these.

Kathy said...

Me too! I love this feature!

Barb said...

Tart looks great and I've enjoyed the memories.

April said...

I would sell my mother for a piece of any of those treats, and I really like my mother.

Book Gurl said...

I think it's sweet that you dream of birthday cake. I would too if I ever had one of your mom's cakes.

Sally said...

It's all so beautiful.

Mark said...

Now I'm hungry and it is the middle of tne night with no pudding in the house. Lovely lot of delicacies here.

Wendy said...

I enjoyed looking back. Thanks.

Angelo said...

Man that looks good!

Gene said...

I always like to look at these pictures.

Susan said...

Loved all of those.

Connie said...

I would dream of that cake 2

Sam P said...

Never had black apricots either. I'll try them. I think the grocer on my corner has them. The tart looks awesome. Loved all the posts today.

Anonymous said...

Good stuff!!!