Saturday, August 18, 2012

Mr. Punch of Belgrave Square, Chapter 117


Chapter 117: 

Trade 


I don’t think so, Finlay.” Georgie Pepper shook his head.

“What wrong, George?” Finlay asked. “Can’t handle the your spirits?”

“I can ‘andle ‘em just fine,” Georgie replied. “It’s just that I’m lookin’ out for the girls. They’re young ladies and it ain’t right for ‘em to go off with two men to take drinks in private.”

“Their virtue is safe with me, George.” Finlay teased.

“It’s still not right.” George said emphatically.

“Come on, Georgie,” Ethel piped up.

“No.” George said. “I made a promise to Mr. Speaight and my mum. I told ‘em I’d look out for you two tonight. You heard what Mr. Speaight said. What we do tonight is a reflection of the household of the Duke of Fallbridge. His Grace gave us this night as a gift and let us be here with all these fine lords and ladies. What kind of gratitude would it be if we just went off to drink spirits with Finlay? It’s one thin’ to have a good time, but it’s ‘nother all together to be irresponsible. Don’t we owe it to the Duke and the doctor to act proper?”

“Georgie’s right.” Jenny said quickly.

“But…” Ethel began.

“No, Ethel. I’ll go right to Dr. Halifax right now.”

“Oi.” Ethel moaned. “Fine.”

“What’s the problem?” Finlay asked. “I won’t tell anyone. We’ll only be off for a mo’. Ain’t gonna make a difference to no one. I’ll bet His Grace would tell ya to go.”

“I don’t think so.” George said.

“Fine.” Finlay sniffed, adjusting the band around his head which held up his “horns.” “More for me, then.” He smiled. “Your loss. Enjoy your ladies, Georgie.” With that, he walked off.

Ethel frowned. “You know, you ain’t my dad.”

“Maybe so. But, I am goin’ to make sure that no harm comes to ya and that we keep the promise what we made to Mr. Speaight. I care ‘bout this job. I need it. But, most of all, I think we should show our respect to the Duke what’s been kind to all of us. No one ever treated my mum with such kindness as the Duke and Dr. Halifax and, well, even if the Duke treated me poor, cuz he’s good to ma, I’d fall on my sword for ‘im.”

“Well said, Georgie.” Jenny smiled.

“Thanks, Jen.”

“Fine, you’re right, then.” Ethel said. “But, can we least have some more wine?”

“I think so.” Georgie winked.

“Well, hurry up then.” Ethel laughed.

Meanwhile. across the Great Hall, Mr. Punch and Robert excused themselves from an rather dull and low-spirited conversation with two of the older aristocrats who lived at one of the nearby estates. They, like Countess Hamish, did not seem to approve of Mr. Punch’s speech and his toasts, and, clearly felt he was too friendly with his staff. Neither the Duke nor the doctor let themselves be bothered, but, as they walked to a quieter spot, Robert couldn’t help but notice that their child looked not only tired, but as if he was going to become a little fussy.

“I think our Colin has had all he can take.” Robert said softly.

“He’s been such a good boy,” Punch smiled, looking at the baby in his arms. “But, sure, I reckon he needs to get his sleep, our boy does. Pity. I’ll miss ‘im.”

“He has been an angel.” Robert smiled. “But, even angels need rest.”

“Me arms need a bit of a rest, they do.”

“You’ve been carrying for hours.” Robert chuckled. “I’m surprised you’ve not handed him off to me.”

“Oh, I like carryin’ him. He don’t weight nothin’ at all. It’s like holdin’ a bit o’ suchine, it is.” Punch replied.

“You’re really too lovely.” Robert grinned.

“Course, I am. Everyone loves Mr. Punch, what.”

“There’s Mrs. North.” Robert pointed.

The two walked over to Mrs. North who looked quite tall and strong in her fancy dress—her face still obscured by the many petals of her large bonnet.

“I think, Mrs. North,” Punch began in his best Julian voice, “that our boy should probably go to bed.”

Mrs. North nodded, reaching out to take the child.

Punch reluctantly handed the baby over.

“Perhaps,” Punch began, still speaking of Julian, “Dr. Halifax and I should take him up for you. We can prepare him for his slumber.”

Mrs. North shook her head, the fabric of her headdress glittering as it swished across her face, hiding her features. She said something, but neither Punch nor Robert could hear it.

“Now, now, Your Grace.” Robert smiled. “If I recall correctly, you told me that Mrs. North carried you up to bed more than once when you were Colin’s age.”

Mrs. North nodded.

“I’m sure she’ll be fine.” Robert continued.

“I’m sure, too.” Punch sighed. “Thank you for looking after him. We’ll be up to wish him sweet dreams in a few minutes.”

Again, Mrs. North nodded, bowing her head slightly and, without a word, turning to walk to the grand staircase.

Robert and Punch watched as the housekeeper carried the baby upstairs.

“That thing’s all in her face,” Punch whispered in his own voice. “What if she can’t see where she’s goin’ and trips?”

“She won’t.”

“Charles tripped and he’s forty years younger than Mrs. North.”

“You mustn’t worry so, dear Punch.” Robert said softly.

“Right,” Punch nodded.

“Now, my dear, let’s go see how our guests are doing.” Robert smiled.

“Sure, sure,” Punch said, glancing up the stairs once more. Mrs. North and the baby had disappeared from view.

Punch took a deep breath and followed Robert, all the while wishing he had gone with his child and the housekeeper.

Had he done so, he would have seen that the woman in Mrs. North’s costume was not Mrs. North at all, but, rather, Ellen. Beneath her ornate bonnet, Ellen grinned as she walked toward an open window, holding the child tightly in her arms.



Did you miss Chapters 1-116? If so you can read them here. Come back Monday to read Mr. Punch of Belgrave Square, Chapter 118.



No comments: