Thursday, September 27, 2012

Mr. Punch of Belgrave Square, Chapter 150


Chapter 150: 

To Beg 


Someone’s knockin’, Your Grace.” Mrs. Pepper whispered.

Mr. Punch strained his ears and, indeed, heard a faint rapping on the door to the nursery.

“Oh, don’t open it, Sir.” Ethel whispered.

Dr. Halifax nodded in agreement. Walking to the door he called out. “Who is that knocking?”

“It’s I…Ellen Barrett.”

Mrs. Pepper and the youngsters gasped. Charles stormed forward, standing shoulder-to-shoulder with Robert.

“Listen to me, monster, you’ve done enough damage here.” Charles shouted through the door.

“I know.” Ellen responded. “I’ve come to beg the Duke’s forgiveness.”

“You won’t get it.” Charles snorted.

“You’re a savage, Miss Barrett.” Robert added. “You’re a beast.”

“Please let me in.” Ellen pleaded.

“Mrs. Pepper,” Mr. Punch whispered. “Would ya take Colin in the next room? Take ‘im into me bedchamber. Please.”

“Yes, Sir.” Mrs. Pepper nodded. She hurried over and lifted the baby out of his cradle. “Georgie…”

Without a word, Georgie picked up the cradle and carried it into the next room.

“And, Dog Toby.” Mr. Punch pointed to the terrier.

“I’ll take ‘im, Your Grace.” Ethel volunteered.

“Thank you very much.” Mr. Punch nodded as Ethel picked up the dog.

Jenny paused and looked helplessly at the Duke.

“You go with ‘em, Jenny.” Mr. Punch said softly.

“But, Sir…”

“You’ll be safe. The door in there is locked from the inside, and you can lock the door what joins these two rooms.”

“But, Gerard, Your Grace.” Jenny said softly.

“He’ll be awful glad to see ya, he will. As will Gamilla. Don’t be scared, Jenny. Nothin’s gonna hurt ya. Think of the good you’ll do in there. Think of the joy you’ll bring to Gerard. If Gerry ain’t awake, you can talk to him all nice and soft and it’ll help him heal up.”

“Will it?” Jenny asked.

“Course.” Mr. Punch nodded. “Go on, now.”

“Yes, Your Grace.”

“And lock the door behind ya. Only open it if it’s me, Dr. Halfiax or Charlie what does the askin’. Hear?”

“Yes, Your Grace.” Jenny said as she scurried out and closed the door behind her.

Alone in the nursery with Robert and Charles, Mr. Punch nodded. “Open the door.”

“Dear Punch…” Robert began.

“Open the door, Chum.” Mr. Punch insisted.

Charles stepped forward. “Shall I, Doctor?”

“Yes,” Robert sighed. “Open it as His Grace instructs..”

Charles nodded and unlatched the door, opening it quickly.

On the other side, Miss Barrett stood with her hands at her sides. She’d changed out of the men’s attire which she’d earlier donned and wore, instead, the dark-colored gown she usually wore.

“Your Grace,” She bowed deeply.

Mr. Punch frowned.

“By now, I’m sure, you’ve heard…” Ellen began.

“Heard ya attacked those young folk. Heard you’re tellin’ tales that the Duchess were your ma and that I’m your brother. Heard you murdered our Mrs. North. Did ya try and kill our Gerard, too? Oh, aye. I’ve heard a good many things ‘bout ya, Miss Barrett.” Mr. Punch responded.

Ellen slumped to the floor. Kneeling before the doctor and Charles she reached out dramatically for the Duke. “You must forgive me, Julian.”

“I ain’t Julian. You know full well I ain’t Julian.” Punch snapped. “And, what’s more, you ain’t to address me as anythin’, but Your Grace.”

“What does your other sister call you?” Ellen asked.

“She don’t call me nothin’, and when she did it weren’t so very nice, it weren’t.” Mr. Punch spat. “But, she’s like you in many ways, I see. Get off your knees and confess your crimes, woman.”

“I must have your forgiveness. I couldn’t help myself. I was possessed by a power greater than myself. You, surely, must understand.”

“Oh no…” Mr. Punch shook his head. He walked forward and stood next to Charles and Robert. “You tried that on me once before. Tryin’ to make us think your ‘brother’ Roger was like me. More like Finlay, isn’t it?”

“No.” Ellen replied. “That part is true. Roger, my cousin, he is like you. The result of the treachery of the Baron Lensdown.”

“You’ve said enough now,” Robert barked.

“I wish to apologize to you, too, Dr. Halifax.”

“Why?” Robert narrowed his eyes. “Why have you suddenly found your conscience?”

“I’ve been misguided.” Ellen moaned.

“You certainly have been. There’s not been one bit of truth in anything you’ve done or said since you’ve arrived in our household. You’ve brought nothing but tragedy to us! Even this—this show of contrition is nothing but your trickery!”

“No.” Ellen bellowed. “I am sincere.”

“You’ve no sincere bone in you.” Charles growled.

“Please, just let me speak to my brother.” Ellen begged.

“Which one?” Robert asked. “Your brother the valet? Your ‘brother,’ Roger?”

“Or them other blokes what you called your brothers?” Mr. Punch added.

“You, Your Grace.” Ellen sniffed dramatically.

“Take her away,” Mr. Punch groaned. “Lock her up somewhere. She sickens me.”

“You’ll die in gaol.” Charles growled.

“If you lay a hand on me,” Ellen said quickly. “It isn’t I who shall die. Please listen to me! You’re all in danger!”

“More of her lies.” Mr. Punch shook his head.

“You must believe me!”

“What?” Robert demanded. “Is Finlay lurking around the corner? Is he here ready to fulfill more of your murderous fantasies?”

“Not Finlay, no.” Ellen yelled. “He’s gone.”

“Gone?” Mr. Punch grunted.

“Dead—dead at the hands of our father, Johnny Donnan.”

“I don’t believe you.” Mr. Punch shook his head.

“You must!” Ellen pleaded. “Donnan was furious. He felt betrayed. He’ll come for you next. I know he will.”

“Why should he?” Robert asked.

“To exact his revenge on the late Duchess who broke his heart. He can’t punish her, but he can punish her heirs.”

“Take her arm.” Robert snapped. “Charles, take her arm. I shall take the other. We’ll lock her in the very vault where she left the cold corpse of Mrs. North.”

“And you’ll all be killed!” Ellen gasped. “Please, I’m your only salvation!”



Did you miss Chapters 1-149? If so, you can read them here. Come back tomorrow for Chapter 151 of Mr. Punch of Belgrave Square. 

No comments: