Monday, October 29, 2012

Treat of the Week: A Sweetly Spooky Treat




Since King George V and Queen Mary presided over last year’s Halloween celebration at my parents’ house, we thought it only appropriate that we go back in time one reign further so that King Edward VII and Queen Alexandra could do the same this year. 










Here we have Their Majesties in pumpkin form. King Edward looks quite regal in a paper version of the Imperial State Crown. Meanwhile, Queen Alexandra sports her own ear trumpet since she was, after all, quite deaf. “Bertie I can’t hear you,” she seems to say as they guard this year’s gorgeous Spider Cake and cupcakes—a family Halloween tradition. But, more about that later. 




We started the evening with a lovely frittata of egg, cheese, potatoes, broccoli and artichoke hearts. Served up with crust ciabatta rolls, pancetta, imported cheeses and a hearty salad of spinach, olives, radishes, artichoke hearts, hearts of palm and other fresh greens, it was a beautiful contrast of flavors, hot can cold. 

And, then…the famous Spider Cake! I look forward to this each year. Rich, moist chocolate cake in split layers, this year it was filled with vanilla icing. Of course, the chocolate frosting is adorned with big orange spiders—each with his own expression. They’re happy spiders and they don’t mind being eaten. Gorgeous cupcakes, each with their own happy arachnid completed the feast. 

Take a look!











17 comments:

Angelo said...

SO AWESOME!

Carolyn said...

Oh, oh, oh, I love, love, love it all!

April said...

If I trick or treat at your mom's can I get a piece of cake?

Joseph Crisalli said...

No...I have it.

Gene said...

I think that's wonderful!!!

Sam P said...

That's the BEST halloween cake ever. Love the pumpkins too.

Matt said...

I am smiling so big looking at these pics on my phone. Your mom is so great.

Barb said...

Incredible! I'm always in awe of your mom's talent.

Doug said...

That's perfection!

Barry said...

An adorable dessert!!!!

Mark said...

A beautiful cake and so cute.

Kathy said...

Really, really cool!

Marsha said...

I wish I could be so talented!

Adam said...

Sweet! Love it.

Bonnie said...

Cool! The spiders are so adorable!

Wendy said...

What beautiful work!

Beth Ann said...

Very cool! Love the icing!!!