Monday, October 8, 2012

Treat of the Week: A Warming Meal on a Chilly Day




Most of the U.S. is atwitter because we’ve had, nationally, a few cold days. I’m not sure why everyone is so surprised by this. Sure, it came quickly, but it IS October. For the first time in six months, I’m content since I like to be a little cold and I like all of the things which come with cooler weather. 



For example, cooler weather means warm, filling, hearty food. Take, for example, the meal my mother prepared for all of us on Sunday. Everyone thinks his mother’s meatloaf is the best. But, in my case, it’s true. Moist and light and filled with carrots and onions, no other can match my mother’s meatloaf. Served with lovely broccoli, cheddar cheese mashed potatoes (made with whipping cream) and rosemary bread, it was the kind of meal which makes autumn even better. 



And, then, there was the dessert. And, what a dessert! 



This isn’t just any pound cake. This is pound cake made with whipping cream—giving it a dense, moist texture and perfect crumb. Not slimming, but very tasty. My mother topped it with the perfect ganache. Some people’s ganache gets crunchy after awhile. But, and I’m not sure how, my mother’s ganache remains nice and soft and creamy and fudgy.  Look how gorgeous--like a volcano of sweet, chocolate wonderfulness.   Sigh… 






I think I’ll go have a piece right now.



13 comments:

April said...

I'd sit in a freezer if that meant I'd get that meal.

Matt said...

Makes me think of happy days at home. Wish I had a piece of that meatloaf.

Gene said...

My wife's meatloaf doesn't look like that. Hers is black and hard. The cake is making my mouth water.

Carolyn said...

heaven! Pure heaven!

Barb said...

Oh that looks so good.

Kathy said...

I'll try carrots in mine next time. Good idea!

Marsha said...

Now that is comfort food at its best.

Book Gurl said...

I could use some of that today. I have a cold and I think that would hit the spot.

Angelo said...

Awesome dinner! Give me a slice!

Sam P said...

MmmmmmmMmmmmmmmmmm!

Mark said...

Looks a treat!

Doug said...

Looks very nice. SOunds like a good menu.

Wendy said...

Yummy!