Tuesday, November 6, 2012

Mr. Punch of Belgrave Square, Chapter 183



Chapter 183
Wishing 


Oh dear, oh dear, oh dear.” Punch muttered frantically, wringing his hands.

“That bastard!” Charles grunted furiously. “He tricked us!”

“You said he was deceased!” Robert snapped.

“He was. I swear it!” Charles shouted. “I…I felt his chest. I looked for any sign of life in the man.”

“Well, now he’s got our Gamilla.” Mr. Punch growled.

“Maybe not.” Robert sighed.

“They ain’t here.” Mr. Punch said softly.

“Perhaps Gamilla took him somewhere to try to help him.” Robert suggested.

“How?” Charles shook his head. “She isn’t strong enough to carry him out.”

“Coulda dragged him.” Punch said hopefully. “But, that don’t ‘xplain the bits of rope.”

Robert rubbed his temple with his index finger. “It’s just wishful thinking on my part, I’m afraid. No doubt he overpowered her. She probably loosened his binds, thinking he was dead.”

“They couldn’t have gotten far.” Charles said. “If we hurry…”

“Wait!” Punch chirped, walking toward the stone slab which separated the floor of the silver vault from the passage and steps. “There’s this white powder.”

“The flour.” Charles replied.

“Looks like there’s a trail of it.” Mr. Punch spoke up hopefully.

“Come on, men.” Robert nodded. “Let’s follow it.”

At that very moment, Gamilla stood outside of Grange Molliner. With one hand, she held onto the ornate wooden arbor in the courtyard, in her other hand, she held Finlay’s hair.

“I’m sorry, Gamilla.” Finlay yowled.

“You done made a big mistake, Finlay Donnan.” Gamilla screamed, tightening her grip on the back of Finlay’s head.

“I…I…I didn’t mean to.”

“Didn’t ya?” Gamilla shouted. “Playin’ ‘possum like ya done. Makin’ us think you was dead. Even makin’ me pity ya. Then, when your ties is loosened, you try for to bolt. You’re the worst kind of person, Finlay. And that magic inside ya knows it.”

“I was ill, truly. You did it to me.”

“You done it to yourself,” Gamilla growled.

“I…I know.” Finlay squealed as Gamilla wrenched his head backward.

“You can’t escape this, Finlay.” Gamilla added.

“Maybe I can.” Finlay sputtered.

“How?” Gamilla spat. “You can’t see. You can barely hear. You’re weak. You’re filled with pain. What can you do, Finlay?”

“I can put a stop to all of this!” Finlay howled.

“How?” Gamilla demanded again. “Only way to move ahead, Finlay Donnan, is to answer the questions what done tear ya apart.”

“Or…” Finlay grinned, pulling forward. He screamed as he left a clump of his hair behind in Gamilla’s hand.

Again, he took off running.

“Where you goin’?” Gamilla shouted, running after him.

“To put a stop to all of this!”

“Finlay! You’re runnin’ toward the well! Watch yourself!”

“I know.” Finlay gurgled.

“Stop!” Gamilla shouted. “Stop right now! This ain’t the way! You’ll be killed!”

Finlay stumbled as his shins struck the low stone wall which surrounded the deep well at the end of the courtyard.

“Forgive me!” Finlay shouted as he tipped forward.

“No!” Gamilla screamed as she watched Finlay plunge into the darkness of the well.



Did you miss Chapters 1-182 of Mr. Punch of Belgrave Square? If so, you can read them here. Come back tomorrow for Chapter 184.



2 comments:

Dashwood said...

Hooray.

Too bad that well will be tainted.

Joseph Crisalli said...

There's more water in Scotland.