Saturday, December 22, 2012

Cookies of the Day: "Aunt Ida" Cookies and Chocolate Icebox Cookies




In our continued account of this year's Christmas cookies, I'm pleased to present "Aunt Ida" Cookies and "Chocolate Icebox Cookies."  I know I've said this of each one, but these are two of my family's favorites.

The Aunt Ida Cookies have a long tradition in our family  My mother has been making these cookies since she was a little girl.  Pillow of cream cheese dough are filled with alternating mixtures of assorted nuts, chocolate, brown sugar, cinnamon, cranberries, raisins and cherries. After baking, they are dusted with cinnamon and confectioner’s sugar.  We've had them for as long as I can remember.




I also have fond memories of Chocolate Icebox Cookies.  In fact, most of my memories are food related.  But, I recall eating these rich chocolate rounds as a child.  I was just as delighted by them then as I am now.  The chocolate dough is formed into a log which his then rolled in chopped walnuts.  After they're baked and cooled, they are topped with a thick later of melted dark chocolate. 




8 comments:

April said...

I love these too!

Gene said...

I like old fashioned sweets like these.

Carolyn said...

I wouldn't know where to start, so I'd have to take two of each.

Matt said...

More beautiful work!

Mary said...

I make icebox cookies too but I don't add he nuts. I will try it your mother's way today. It looks yummy.

Sam P said...

That does it, now I gotta learn how to bake.

Bonnie said...

Beautiful!

Angelo said...

Look great!!