Monday, December 17, 2012

Mr. Punch of Belgrave Square, Chapter 214




Chapter 214
Authorities 



Mr. Punch cleared his throat and set his face into his “Julian” expression. He didn’t really wish to imitate Julian’s mannerisms and speech at that moment. He was upset to learn that innocent children had been put in harm’s way. Frankly, it’d have been much easier for him to speak in his own voice. Acting like Julian tended to distract Punch because he not only had to think about what he was saying, but how he was saying it. Still, he knew that with Lady Lensdown and Lady Constance both in the room, it was best not to let his Punchinello tendencies come to the surface.

“Lady Constance,” Mr. Punch began, “How are you certain that your daughter has been abducted?”

“I received a letter.”

“Do you have it?” Robert asked.

“No, Dr. Halifax. I did not bring it with me.”

“Why come here instead of going to the authorities?” Mr. Punch asked.

“The letter specifically says that if Scotland Yard is involved, that my Fern will…will not survive.”

Robert and Mr. Punch exchanged glances.

“I know what you’re thinking.” Lady Constance sniffed.

“I do not see how you could,” Mr. Punch shook his head.

“You think I’m cheap and common…”

“It’s not my place to judge anyone.” Mr. Punch replied comfortingly. “I’m sure that Miss Molliner and Dr. Halifax feel the same. We just want to see these children returned safely.”

“How…how…” Lady Lensdown began. She stood at the far corner of the drawing room. She’d not been able to sit since hearing that her children has, as well, been taken. She hadn’t spoken a word, in fact, as if in a trance, as Lennie ushered the two ladies into the drawing room to speak to the Duke and the Doctor. She did not even speak while Lennie explained to the men what she’d just been told. “How do you know that my children…?”

“The letter said that as long as I cooperated, Fern would be well cared for. It said that she was with friends, the two Lensdown children, and that she’d not even know anything was wrong.” Constance explained.

“Dear God!” Gertrude wailed.

“There, there,” Lennie said softly, walking over to the woman. “We shall sort through this.”

“Did the letter tell you to come here?” Robert asked.

“No, I decided that on my own.” Constance shook her head. “I didn’t know where else to go. I couldn’t reveal to any of mother’s friends that I…” She stopped. “I thought that if anyone would offer assistance without thinking me a horrid woman, it would be the two of you gentlemen.”

“So, His Grace wasn’t mentioned in the letter?” Robert asked.

“No, nor was Colin.” Lady Constance shook her head. “Though, if I were you, I’d see to it that your boy was well guarded.”

“We are.” Punch replied. “And, you’ve no idea as to the identity of this abductor?”

“No.” Lady Constance answered.

“What demands have been made?” Robert asked.

“Only that the father of the children be delivered to Blackheath Park.”

“Blackheath?” Robert squinted. “Why all the way south?”

“I’m sorry.” Gertrude rasped. “Did you say, Connie, that you were asked to deliver the childrens’ father?”

Lady Constance blushed. “I didn’t expect you to be here, Gertrude.”

“The childrens’ father?” Gertrude repeated.

“Yes.” Constance nodded.

“I see.” Gertrude sighed. “I wonder how many others there are.”

Lady Constance shut her eyes and shook her head. Her mind raced with thoughts of the other child—perhaps one of many, but the one other about which she knew. She tried not to imagine how that child—the offspring of a brother and a sister—looked, a child which was called “a monster” by his own mother, Orpha Polk.

Robert noticed lady Constance’s discomfort and began to feel that the woman had been hiding more than the paternity of her daughter.

“Is there anything else we should know?” Robert asked.

Constance took a deep breath and, for a moment, considered telling the doctor and the Duke the entire truth—that she’d been blackmailed by Orpha, that all she wanted was for her daughter to be legitimate, that she feared for the safety of the Duke’s family despite Orpha’s promise to the contrary.

Yet, she couldn’t do it. Orpha had taken Fern. That much was true. Constance couldn’t be sure what the woman would do next, and, she didn’t care to gamble with her child’s safety. No. She would carry out the scheme exactly as Orpha had wished.

“Just that I hope you can help me.” Constance replied simply. “I know I’ve not been as kind to you as I should, Gentlemen. Much of that was mother’s insistence. I’ve hoped that you’ve both always known how I admire you.”

“Thank you,” Mr. Punch nodded. He bit his lip and, then, stood up, walking behind the settee and placing his hands on Robert’s shoulders.

He began, “Lady Lensdown, I do not wish to offend you, but I think it’s fair to say that we all know what a dangerous man your husband is.”

“Yes.” Gertrude whispered.

“These children have been caught up in some argument between the baron and another party. Baron Lensdown is the key. However, I doubt he’d be cooperative in any of this.”

“Even knowing that his own children are involved?” Robert scowled.

“I’m afraid so.” Punch nodded.

“The Duke is right.” Constance nodded.

“I think I know him better,” Gertrude began. “I…I’d like to think that…” She shook her head. “Would that it were not true.”

“We must do something,” Lennie shook her head.

“Oh, we will.” Punch smiled. “However, it may not be according to the abductor’s plans.”



Did you miss Chapters 1-213 of Mr. Punch of Belgrave Square? If so, you can read them here. Come back tomorrow for Chapter 215.



No comments: