Monday, December 17, 2012

Treat of the Week: Simmering Soup and Sweet Scottish Shortbread





Today begins the annual look at the marvelous cookies my mother makes each Christmas. Having tasted this year’s batch, I can tell you that they’re each a masterpiece. After today, you’ll see a daily “Cookie of the Day” post which will take you on a delicious journey to the holiday.

To visit my mother’s and father’s house this weekend, you’d never have guessed that my mother has been up until midnight every day last week, baking and decorating gorgeous cookies. The house was filled with the enticing aroma of barley soup and we were each treated to a big bowl along with a helping of cool, beautiful salad filled with all manner of delicious things. 




But, after dinner, we saw just how much my mother’s been doing. Dozens of homemade cookies and candy appeared, as if by magic. The amount of work is astounding, and my mother does this every year, much to the appreciation of my father, Bertie and me.

Since we’re going to do a cookie a day, let’s start with the annual shortbread terriers. These delicious Westies and Scotties are one of my favorite parts of every Christmas. Since shortbread is a Scottish creation, it’s only fitting, of course, that these cookies should take the form of Scotland’s most famous dog breeds. Plus, of course, there’s that Bertie connection. 


The Scotties are the finest chocolate shortbread, adorned with white chocolate accents and colorful nonpareils. And, the Westies, as is fitting are buttery shortbread with dark chocolate bows and eyes.

These are dogs that I’m happy to bite. 


Come back tomorrow for another cookie!



14 comments:

Carolyn said...

They're so cute! I want to bite their tails.

Barb said...

I love shortbread. They really are adorable too.

Kathy said...

I love them!

Gene said...

My grandmother would make shortbread and I always really liked it. I like the interesting cookie cutter shapes.

Doug said...

Too adorable and delicious!

Matt said...

Now I wonder if Bertie tastes like shortbread. The cookies are so, so cute!!!

Joseph Crisalli said...

Bertie, I can assure you, does not taste like shortbread. I discourage tasting him.

April said...

I wish my dogs tasted like shortbread. I also wish I had cookies this adorable.

Joseph Crisalli said...

Again...Bertie does not taste like shortbread.

Sam P said...

You have such a great mom.

Mark said...

Smashing!!

Book Gurl said...

How sweet!

Angelo said...

I like cookies and dogs.

Bonnie said...

They look really good! Can't wait to see the rest!