Thursday, February 21, 2013

Treat of the Week: 2013's Annual Valentine's Day Tea





My favorite holiday with my parents and Bertie is Valentine’s Day. Each year, I look forward to February when my mother, assisted by my father, stages a gorgeous English tea to celebrate the day.  You've seen the two past year's Valentine's Teas, and this year's is even more gorgeous!

Our annual Valentine’s tea reminds me of the proper English teas we enjoyed visiting London’s Belgravia and Mayfair, especially at the stunning Basil Street Hotel (now, sadly, closed—the building converted into offices).   Hours and hours (days) of preparation goes into this tea each year, and I genuinely appreciate it. 

Let’s take a look at this year’s festivities.

With the table beautifully set with sterling, crystal, and my mother's wedding china, the scene was magnificently set.  A host of gorgeous tea sandwiches which included rosemary ham, roast beef, turkey, boiled eggs, pancetta, chicken spread, beautiful blue cheese paste, olive tapanade, cucumber and assorted other savories began the festivities.  







 

After these savory delights, lovely tea and Proseco with Creme de Cassis accompanied homemade scones, mocha-topped gingerbread, chocolate-dipped strawberries and apricots, hand-molded chocolates, delicate tarts of French pastry crème and glazed berries and amazingly decorated petifore of creamy pound cake. Rich raisin bread spread with lovely cream cheese added a cool sweetness to the event. 








I think I’ll let the pictures speak for themselves. So much work went into preparing for this special event. It truly is my favorite event...




13 comments:

Matt said...

Simply gorgeous in every way!

Carolyn said...

How elegant! It's all so beautiful!

Sam P said...

I looked forward to seeing this! Really, it's so lovely.

Angelo said...

Sweet!

Barb said...

Just too wonderful!

Gene said...

Someday I will have such a beautiful tea. I am very inspired by this. Your mother is a genius.

Kathy said...

I'm so jealous! Love it!

Doug said...

I wouldn't know where to start. I want it all!!

April said...

Gimme, gimme, gimme!!!!!

Beth Ann said...

Extraordinary! All that work really paid off. It's a beautiful celebration!

Susan said...

I'm always impressed, but this is really something special

Bonnie said...

Your mom really should have her own tv show. I think it every week.

Renee said...

I think this is a really wonderful thing your mom did for you all. Very pretty.