Friday, March 8, 2013

Mr. Punch of Belgrave Square, Chapter 275




Chapter 275 
Portrait 


Come now, dearie.” Mrs. Pepper whispered to Ethel who sat next to her at the servants’ hall table. “Take a few more bites, then. Lamb stew is one of your favorites.”

Ethel looked up from her plate absently. “Jenny liked lamb stew.”

“Yes, she did, Ethel.” Mrs. Pepper said sweetly. She looked around. “In fact, I think we all do.”

“Only your lamb stew, Mrs. P.” Gerard smiled.

“Well, thank you, Mr. Gurney.” Mrs. Pepper grinned. She looked back to Ethel. “So, go on, take a few more spoonfuls. It’ll do ya good.”

Ethel obediently picked up her spoon and pushed the stew around her bowl.

“I say,” Speaight spoke up. “Our newcomer has quite an appetite. She’s had two bowls.”

Maudie blushed. “I hope I’ve not made a hog o’ me-self.”

“I should say not,” Georgie smiled across the table.

Maudie blushed deeper. She’d noticed Georie looking at her since Mrs. Pepper introduced them.

“That’s enough cheek from you, boy.” Mrs. Pepper snapped.

“Yes, ma.” Georgie grinned.

“It’s just,” Maudie began. “Well…we never got food like this at Hamish House. This stew’s finer than anything we even ever served for upstairs.”

“The Countess Hamish,” Mr. Speaight shook his head. “I’m afraid had poor taste in most things.”

“Why, Mr. Speaight.” Mrs. Pepper grinned. “And you with all your talk of not speakin’ of our betters.”

“The Countess was not our better, Mrs. Pepper.” Mr. Speaight replied firmly.

Maudie giggled.

“What are you laughin’ ‘bout?” Ethel mumbled. “What ‘ave you got to laugh ‘bout? Sittin’ their in our Jenny’s chair…”

“Ethel,” Mrs. Pepper put her hand on Ethel’s shoulder.

Ethel began to cry.

“Come on, Ethel, I’ll take you upstairs so you can lie down.” Mrs. Pepper whispered.

“I’ll take her, Mrs. Pepper.” Violet volunteered. “I’ve got to go up to change into my blacks anyway.”

“Well…” Speaight interrupted. “I’m afraid we all need to change into our evening uniforms. You included, Maude. His Grace has invited all of us to join him in the drawing room after we’ve finished our luncheon.”

“Oh?” Charles raised his eyebrows. “Has this anything to do with what you told His Grace earlier?”

“What’s that?” Gerard asked.

“About Hamish House.” Charles leaned over and whispered in Gerry’s ear. “And Miss Rittenhouse.”

“No, I should think not.” Mr. Speaight replied quickly, not wishing to alarm the others. “He seemed quite jolly. I suspect it’s good news.”

“We could use some.” Violet nodded.

“Yes, Violet,” Mr. Speaight frowned. “we could.”

“I wonder if it’s anything to do with what that messenger bloke brought earlier.” Gerard began.

“What was that, Gerry?”

“A man from the Royal Academy came earlier.” Gerard answered. “With a message for His Grace.”

“What’s it all about?” Georgie asked.

“Well,” Gerard began.

“We don’t discuss the Duke’s personal communications.” Speaight warned.

“Oh, Sir, he won’t mind. He told me himself ‘bout it.” Gerard replied.

“Very well,” Speaight nodded.

“It’s terrible excitin’, in fact.” Gerard said brightly.

Ethel wiped her eyes. “Is it?”

“Sure, Ethel.” Gerard nodded encouragingly.

“Do I have to go upstairs, Mrs. Pepper?” Ethel asked.

“Not if you don’t want to.” Mrs. Pepper replied affectionately.

“I’d like to hear about the Duke’s letter.” Ethel replied quietly. “And, I should like to go to the drawing room. If they’ll have me.”

“Well, of course, they’ll have you, my girl.” Speaight answered paternally. “The invitation was for all of us.”

“I would like to go, then.” Ethel said, her voice more as it usually was.

“As long as you feel up to it.” Mrs. Pepper said.

“I do.” Ethel nodded. “And, I can scrub the pots afterwards, too.”

“That’s our girl.”

“I can help you if you like, Ethel.” Maudie said, looking embarrassed after she said it.

Ethel looked cross for a moment, but her face softened. “If Mrs. Pepper doesn’t mind.”

“I don’t.” Mrs. Pepper shook her head gladly.

“Thank you.” Ethel looked at Maudie. “And…I’m sorry that I…”

“No worries, then.” Maude smiled.

Charles exhaled with relief. “Well, then, Gerry, you were telling us about a man from the Royal Academy?”

“Right.” Gerard nodded. “This bloke came from the Royal Academy with a letter sayin’ that Her Majesty the Queen wants a portrait painted of His Grace and Dr. Halifax with Master Colin and Dog Toby and one of His Grace’s puppets.”

“What do you think of that?” Mrs. Pepper said proudly. “The Queen wants a paintin’ of our masters. Ain’t it somethin’?”

“I should say so, Mrs. Pepper.” Speaight nodded. “Who shall paint the portrait, Gerard?”

“Mr. Winterhalter.”

“Well, then.” Charles’ eyes widened.

“Who’s that?” Violet asked.

“He’s a German chap what paints portraits of royalty.” Gerard answered.

“I’m very impressed that you know that, Gerard.” Speaight smiled.

“The Duke teaches me things.” Gerard grinned.

“So, is the Queen gonna hang the picture right there in the palace?” Violet asked.

“I think His Grace said Her Majesty wanted it for her study at Sandringham.”

“Very smart.” Mrs. Pepper replied.

“Speaking of smart, if we’ve all finished, let’s have you all pop upstairs and change uniforms. I shall meet you in the hall in ten minutes.”

“The hall?” Maudie asked.

“The front hall.” Mr. Speaight nodded.

Maudie pointed to the area door.

“Upstairs, girl.” Speaight chuckled.

“Where the Duke comes in?” Maudie’s eyes widened.

“We’ve had an invitation, yes.” Speaight replied.

“Cor!” Maudie exhaled. She blushed, putting her hand over her mouth.

“Go on, then.” Mrs. Pepper laughed.

Maude stood up. “Ethel, I ain’t never had an evenin’ uniform. I ain’t never had any uniform before today. Can you help me? I’m not sure I know how to wear it.”

Ethel looked as if she might cry again, but bit her lip and nodded. “I’ll help ya.”

“May I walk upstairs with ya?” Maude asked.

Ethel nodded and the two girls walked to the service staircase.

“Ain’t that a relief?” Mrs. Pepper muttered.

“She’ll be fine, Mrs. P.” Gerard replied. “Here, I’d best tell Gamilla we’ve been summoned.”

“She knows already, my boy.” Speaight winked.

“How’s that?” Gerard asked. “She’s been in the nursery since this mornin’.”

“I told her earlier.” Speaight answered. “She was instructed to bathe and dress Master Colin and to see that Miss Fern was ready beforehand.”

“What’s this all about?” Gerard asked. “I think you know somethin’ you ain’t tellin’ us, Mr. Speaight.”

“I don’t know what you mean.” Speaight laughed.

“And, you’re sure it ain’t to do with Miss Rittenhouse takin’ the lease on Hamish House?”

“I informed His Grace and Dr. Halifax of what Mrs. Pepper told me.” Speaight shook his head. “The masters are investigating the situation. However, this, as I said, is jolly tidings.”

“But…” Gerard began.

“Let it be for now, Gerry.” Charles put his arm around his friend’s shoulders. “Let’s just go change our livery.”

“You know, too?” Gerard asked.

“Go…smart now.” Speaight warned.

Gerard grunted and followed Charles to the stairs.

Mrs. Pepper and Mr. Speaight exchanged knowing looks.

“Ten minutes, Mrs. Pepper.” Speaight nodded.

“Ten minutes, Mr. Speaight.” Mrs. Pepper winked.



Did you miss Chapters 1-274 of Mr. Punch of Belgrave Square? If so, you can read them
here. Come back tomorrow for Chapter 276.



No comments: