Monday, March 25, 2013

Treat of the Week: Gorgeous Chicken and Giant Cookies




This week's treat is a savory feast followed by a sweet delight.




Our weekly family dinner began with a delicious dinner of baked and breaded buttermilk chicken, bursting with the flavor of fresh herbs and cozily smothered in cream gravy.  Bertie enjoyed his own piece, neatly cut-up for him, of course.  Oven-baked home fries of the sweet and standard varieties were joined by fresh, steamed snow-peas and a lovely ciabatta bread.  Oh!  It was good.


This is the part where I always say, "And, then came..." and I describe the dessert which my clever, talented mother made from scratch.  And, I will.  However, first I want to tell all of you something...

I have a very large head.  I have the sort of large head which television people covet.  Not only is my cranium quite impressively-sized, but I've quite a lot of titian-hued hair atop it.  I could this toward overall head size.  So...if I was to describe something as being as "big as my head," you'd have to understand that I'm not some side-show pinhead, but rather, the opposite (though not quite of sideshow proportions).  

Understood?  Brilliant, let's proceed.

And, then...there was the dessert.  Gorgeous sugar cookies as BIG AS MY HEAD.





Rich with the flavors of vanilla and sour cream, and adorned with colored sugar crystals, these cookies are soft, slightly chewy and as enormously tasty as they are...well, enormous.  I will let the pictures speak for themselves.  Served with a salad of fresh fruit, the cookies were the perfect way to usher in Springtime, even if it doesn't feel like it outside.


15 comments:

April said...

Let's see if she can make one as big as MY head which is twice the size of yours I bet. I wish, I wish she could.

Carolyn said...

Yumsy! I WANT ONE! And I want chicken. Pout.

Renee said...

I have a very large and round head too and would like a cookie as big as my head and as beautiful as those.

Gene said...

My grandmother made ugar cookies like those but not as big and not as fancy...so I guess they weren't as nice. These look very nice and so does the dinner.

Gregg said...

I can't believe how pretty the cookies are!!!

Angelo said...

Man that looks good!!!!!!!!!!

Sam P said...

I want!

Matt said...

A perfect Texas dinner with your mom's elegant touch. Love it!

Book Gurl said...

Always presented so beautifully.

Beth Ann said...

I'm going to make chicken tonight! I hope mine looks that good. The cookies are marvelous.

Doug said...

SO GOOD!!!

Barb said...

I too am a large headed person. I would like to eat one of those cookies as big as my head.

Kathy said...

Very nice job!

Wendy said...

Super! I wish I had a cookie and some of that chicken!!

Mark said...

That really is the way to do it.