Saturday, July 13, 2013

At the Music Hall: Three O'Clock in the Morning, a Waltz, 1922




Three o'clock
In the morning
We danced the
Whole night through
And daylight soon
Will be dawning
Just one more
Waltz with you

I said the melody
It's so entrancing
It seems to be
Made for us two
I said that I
I could just keep
Right on dancing
Forever dear
Dancing here with you

It's three o'clock
In the morning
I say that we danced
The whole night through
And daylight soon
Will be dawning, yeah
There's a-one
More dance with you

I say that that melody
It's so, so entrancing, yeah
I could just go on and on
I said that I could
Just keep right on dancing
Forever dear
Dancing here with you

(Melody's so entrancing)
Melody's so entrancing
(Seems to be made for us two)
It seems to be made for us two

I could just keep right on
I could keep on dancing forever
Here, dancing here with you
Three o'clock in the morning 




“Three O’Clock in the Morning,” a popular “good night waltz” (of the sort which would signal the end of a dance, or, the closing of a club), features music written by Julian Robledo and lyrics by Theodora Morse (under the name “Dorothy Terriss”).

The first recording of the beloved song is believed to have been by Paul Whiteman and his Orchestra. In fact, the song is so associated with Whiteman that it became his signature tune.

The song is famously referenced in F. Scott Fitzgerald’s  over-rated, insufferable novel (just my opinion, no arguments please) “The Great Gatsby” and has long been a favorite standard of many recording artists. 



No comments: